Thread: Veritas #7 custom and multiple frogs

Veritas #7 custom and multiple frogs

Hi all, first time poster here.

So I bought a Veritas #7 custom jointer plane two days ago. Finding one seems to be a near impossibility, but I managed to find a distributor in England that had one, but it was only for the base body (no frog, handles etc). Lee Valley is currently out of the 45 degree frogs for this model, so I opted to buy a 40 degree one, with the idea of also buying a 50 degree one at a later date.

Which got me to thinking though: Does it make sense to own multiple frogs and swap them in and out on these custom planes? Thinking about it after I made the purchase, it may not make much sense for this plane, as the #7 is the only custom plane that uses the wider blade width (whereas the 2" blade is use across the rest of the custom line).

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

No point in getting a high angle frog, 5 degrees I don't think will be much of an advancement for a cap iron if it's honed at 50 degrees, or
    just a matter of honing it steeper than that either to have the same cap iron projection as a regular 45 frog.

I think Derek Cohen might have one of those, might be worth seeing if you can find it in his juicy blogs.

Tom

Blog Entries
    Howdy Michael and welcome to the Creek.

You might want to give the 40º frog some workout time before deciding if you do want or have need of a steeper frog.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Giordano View Post

So I bought a Veritas #7 custom jointer plane two days ago. Finding one seems to be a near impossibility, but I managed to find a distributor in England that had one, but it was only for the base body (no frog, handles etc). Lee Valley is currently out of the 45 degree frogs for this model, so I opted to buy a 40 degree one, with the idea of also buying a 50 degree one at a later date.

Which got me to thinking though: Does it make sense to own multiple frogs and swap them in and out on these custom planes? Thinking about it after I made the purchase, it may not make much sense for this plane, as the #7 is the only custom plane that uses the wider blade width (whereas the 2" blade is use across the rest of the custom line).

Michael, you have done well.

For enlightenment, please read the following article I wrote in 2015: http://www.inthewoodshop.com/ToolRev...omPlanes1.html

I ended up with a 40-degree Custom Jointer and a 42-degree Custom Smoother. This set up requires that the chipbreaker is set for tearout control. The 50-degree frogs for each are available for purchase, for those interested, and who are wanting a safer, less on-the-edge cutting angle.

Regards from Perth

Derek
    Last edited by Derek Cohen; 09-13-2021 at 9:07 AM.

Forty degrees is near the lower end of the range for a bevel down plane. The reason is that roughly ten degrees of clearance is needed for a plane to work well and roughly 30 degrees of bevel is needed for a strong edge. Add these two angles together and you get forty. The standard bedding angles, 45 and 47, give a little cushion for a bevel that is a little higher angle, either because the worker is a little sloppy or wants a higher angle bevel.

The lower the bedding angle, the better the finish on the wood, so your plane is just about ideal, except that you have to be a little careful about your a bevel angle. If you can learn to use this plane well, you will not need another frog.

I just bought Veritas' bevel-up jointer because the custom was out of stock. I figure I can just put one of my 38-degree blades in it and it'll do what I need just fine.

You might take a look at facebook as there is a group specifically dedicated to selling/swapping parts for Stanley planes.

Maybe I'm just Olde School....Have a Stanley No. 7c, Type 9...AND an Ohio Tool Co. No. 0-7...I think would be a Type 3.....both use a standard frog angle....both have 2-3/8" wide irons.....used mainly (95%) of the time as long Jointer planes...of the 2 planes....I'd keep the Stanley....
    A Planer? I'm the Planer, and this is what I use

I’m a little/lot late on this, but actually most of the Veritas custom planes (4-1/2, 5-1/2, 7) use the 2-3/8” blade.

Blog Entries

This thread has popped up after a month of rumination and one thing comes to mind…

Some folks have expressed a reluctance to even remove a blade to do a touch up with various strategies to make the edge last longer. It makes me wonder how likely one is going to want to change frogs in the middle of a job and then change back.

Years ago before learning about using the cap iron to control tear out there were two each of my most commonly used planes with one having a tight mouth and one set with an open mouth. This was less hassle than having to stop to adjust a frog.

If frogs of different angles were available when my fleet of planes was in the making, my strategy would likely have been to have planes with different angle frogs on the shelf.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Hi Michael -

We designed the series to let customers choose the configuration that best suits how they work, the species of wood they use, and a handle/knob configuration that feels comfortable.

Personally - I don't think I would ever change a frog - I don't think owning multiple frogs adds value to a solution.

I would note that you can use your plane with our without the cap iron - it will work fine as a bevel-up plane too. With a 25 degree bevel - you have an effective cut angle of 65 degrees.

Using the cap iron properly snugged up to the blade edge, you will be able to handle virtually anything....

Cheers -

Rob