Thread: Arbortech Contour Sander causing swirl marks

Arbortech Contour Sander causing swirl marks

I sanded the interior area of this tray with an Arbortech Contour Sander to 220 grit. This is the first time I used this tool. I then stained the work piece. As you can see in the picture there are a lot of swirl marks and "pig tails". Does anyone what caused this? I wiped the work piece with Mineral Spirits prior to staining and none of these marks showed up at that time.P1010481.jpg
    Wood working is like a vicious cycle. The more tools you buy the more you find to buy.

Pigtails and swirls are usually scratches from left from coarse grit which you didn't sand out with your progression through finer grits.

Can also be from loose grit left from intermediate sanding steps. Vacuuming between grits can help. I am surprised those didn't show up. Try better raking light for inspection.

What is a raking light?
    Wood working is like a vicious cycle. The more tools you buy the more you find to buy.

Light coming across the workpiece at a flat angle. If you come in the shop early in the morning and look at a poorly sanded piece sitting on a bench by an east window you will get the idea.

Thanks, Kevin! I purchased a raking light and it revealed imperfections I would have NEVER seen without it.

Bill, you will find that using the same lamp and technique during finishing will also pay major dividends.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...