Thread: Fein Turbo Vac III Motor Replacement

Fein Turbo Vac III Motor Replacement

I have an old Fein III that the motor went bad. It got noisy, slowed down and overheated. Fein doesn't have parts for these older model vacs so doing research on Sawmill Creek, I found a blog by Steve Knight from 8/21/2010 for motor replacement on a Fein III. You can get a replacement motor from Graingers. The Grainger number is 2M433. The motor cost was $185.00. I had to order it, but it came in the next day. This was excellent service. Replacing the motor requires removing three phillips screws that secure the float cage and three more phillips screws under the float cage. Now there are four more phillips screws in a deep recessed hole. You will need a long phillips screw driver to access them. Once you remove these screws, the upper and lower housings can now be separated to remove the motor. The two wires that feed the motor are easily disconnected. One just gets unplugged. The other is under a screw, which requires loosening.The motor is sandwiched between the upper and lower housings. There are insulators on the top and bottom of the old motor that must be transferred. There is a sponge like material around the motor to be transferred. I had to make one modification on installing the new motor. The upper housing would not slide over the motor. It was hitting the brush holder of the motor on one side. I used my multi tool cutter to remove a small section of the upper housing allowing the housing to slide over the motor. You may not have to make this modification on yours. My motor got so hot, it started to melt and distort the housing in the area I had to cut. For the wiring, I cut the old connector off the old motor and soldered onto the new one. The other wire just gets attached under the screw. The whole process took about 40 minutes. The new motor runs quiet and has great suction. Hopefully, I will get another 25 years out this vacuum. FYI-the new Fein Turbo III is only sold in Europe and is over $600.00.

Thanks for the info Frank. If the rest of the vac is in good shape, I think a motor replacement makes sense. I have a Turbo II, the motor is okay but the sound insulating foam in the 'bell' around the motor deteriorated. I was able to find acoustic foam with adhesive on one side on Ebay. The foam lining around the motor is mostly responsible for how quiet my Fein vac is. Run without the foam it isn't much quieter than Ridgid or the like.