Thread: Would anyone know the wood group setting for sapele on a Lingo-scanner

Would anyone know the wood group setting for sapele on a Lingo-scanner

The chart that comes with the scanner doesn't list sapele. Would anyone know where the mmeter should be set?

Cliff
    The problem with the world is that intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence.
    Charles Bukowski

it is in the mahogany family. what does that meter measure?
    Bill D

I don’t know that meter but you might check with the maker. I use a Wagner pinless meter and they have an online database with numbers for thousands of species, far more than would fit in the list supplied with the meter.

If your meter is pinless and bases the reading on the specific gravity of the wood you might also find a similar species in the list you have and use that setting.

Quote Originally Posted by Cliff Polubinsky View Post
    The chart that comes with the scanner doesn't list sapele. Would anyone know where the mmeter should be set?
    Cliff

I have a Ligno Scanner SD. The species setting is the specific gravity of the wood, times 100. The great google reports that the specific gravity of sapele is .62, so the setting you key in is 62.

Jamie,

That's really helpful to know. Thanks a lot.

Cliff
    The problem with the world is that intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence.
    Charles Bukowski

In my experience Sapele, like most other woods varies in density even within a single sample. So if the setting has a big effect on the results I'd suspect the results.

I finally sent an email to Lignomat. Got a reply in about 15 minutes.

mini-Ligno setting is #2
    Ligno-scanner setting is #66.

Cliff
    Charles Bukowski

Always going to the source first is a good idea. Ligno is a great company.

I called them years ago as I was going to be in Portland on business and they are based there. They told me that they didn't have a retail location and I explained that I needed some help deciding what to buy and they said come on over. Family business, super nice people, and super helpful. Great company.