Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Queen Anne dining table

Queen Anne dining table

Summer project - used planer sled to face joint 6' by 12 inch boards with Dewalt 735. After bandsaw legs shaped with spokeshaves and rasps. Profile on table edge with spokeshaves, scraper, and sandpaper.

Queen Anne table profile.jpgQueen Anne table top.jpgQueen Anne table top close up.jpgQueen Anne inside.jpg

Very nice....I have used a planer sled with my 735, and it works out pretty good. Are you planning on building chairs to go with the table?
    Chris

That’s a fine piece! Bringing it inside was a good decision !! We all understand that that good grain matches usually defy the camera.

Excellent execution. Well done Sir!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Quote Originally Posted by Christian Hawkshaw View Post
    Very nice....I have used a planer sled with my 735, and it works out pretty good. Are you planning on building chairs to go with the table?
    Thanks Christian, my thoughts also - chairs would be nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Fulks View Post
    That’s a fine piece! Bringing it inside was a good decision !! We all understand that that good grain matches usually defy the camera.
    Thank you Mel.

Another lovely piece Mark. (nice cupboard in the back ground as well) So what are you thinking? 6 chairs? A winter project?
    Stand for something, or you'll fall for anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Carey View Post
    Another lovely piece Mark. (nice cupboard in the back ground as well) So what are you thinking? 6 chairs? A winter project?
    Thanks Bill, yes, those chairs will keep me busy in the shop when the weather gets ugly.

Nice Work, beautiful!

Very nice!
    Did you use an ellipse cutting jig with a router to cut the top?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hennebury View Post
    Nice Work, beautiful!
    Thank you Mark!

Quote Originally Posted by Edwin Santos View Post
    Very nice!
    Did you use an ellipse cutting jig with a router to cut the top?
    Thanks Edwin! That ellipse cutting jig looks interesting. I like playing with hand tools so I used a string and two nails to draw the ellipse, and a frame saw to cut it out.

frame saw.jpg

Blog Entries
    Very elegant work. I'm guessing it was outside to darken the cherry. What finish did you use?
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Schierer View Post
    Very elegant work. I'm guessing it was outside to darken the cherry. What finish did you use?
    Thanks Lee, yes, is was getting a little sun tan. I started with 2 coats of dewaxed garnet shellac, then Waterlox varnish. I used the original gloss Waterlox ( not the thinner seal and coat ) and I brushed 2 coats. I was not happy, perhaps my brush technique was faulty, I had brush marks after it dried. I removed it. I then did a 50/50 mineral spirits Waterlox mix and wiped on 3 thin coats for 4 consecutive days. I do not like finishing - makes me want to get into spray finishes.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rainey View Post
    Thanks Edwin! That ellipse cutting jig looks interesting. I like playing with hand tools so I used a string and two nails to draw the ellipse, and a frame saw to cut it out.
    Mark,
    Love that answer. Sometimes I find myself wrapped up chasing jigs that do things perfectly and forget that there is something to be said for hand/eye coordination. Satisfying too.
    Great job hand sawing to a line!