Thread: Speaking of patience--

Speaking of patience--

I see the post from the man who ordered Logier rasps and isn't hearing anything back from them.
    I ordered a plane from Lee Valley on March 2, 21. When I check my account, I see that certain parts of the order are not in stock. For instance, the handle; it has been re-dated several times. The last set of "expected" dates was 9-7-21. I had a look just now, and noted that the wooden handle is now expected some time next year (I forget the exact date). I don't have a crying need for this particular tool, so I'm just gonna wait; I am wondering if any of you have had the same experience. Given the state of the supply chain, I'd hate to be in a business like equipment repair where parts are needed in a hurry--

Yes. Lee Valley is one of many. Many people have reported delays in delivery of tools, parts, etc in SMC's Off Topic and General forums. Everything from diesel emissions sensors, to machine tools to computer chips are on backorder. It aint pretty.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

I am happy to report that my Veritas cabinet scraper, ordered back in Feb or Mar, arrived today, so there is hope for you. The estimated ship date was revised several times along the way. I think the last estimate was sometime in October so it actually arrived earlier. Like you, I did not have an urgent need so I didn't mind waiting.
    --I had my patience tested. I'm negative--

I have about $1000 worth of stuff on backorder at Lee Valley. Happy to do my part to keep them running. Looking for something to put on backorder at L-N every couple weeks. I love my LN tools, don't love A2, but will do my bit to keep them running through these supply chain hiccups as well. 100 years from now both of these will be well respected makers with excellent resale value.

Don't forget your local small businesses while spreading what money you have around. I have one pizza place, two taco trucks and a burger joint and a sushi place I am doing my best to support. If you get through all that with unlimited OT coming in look for a local meals on wheels program, local food bank and look for a youth homeless shelter as well. There are a ton, a metric ton, of people out there hurting too bad for me to keep up with the most recent backorder date on my right handed skew rabbet plane with the PMV11 iron.

I am far too old to be working this much OT, but I am wise enough to spread it around some.

Good luck and best wishes.

Blog Entries
    We used to have a phrase at my last workplace, "Everyone gets a turn in the barrel."

Just another way to say what goes around comes around. What one spreads around has a way of coming back them.

Maybe in a different life.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Back in late Dec I ordered a LV Veritas side rabbet plane and it arrived mid May. However it had a mark in the middle of a machined surface, which I can't tell if it's just a scratch or crack. I could live with a scratch but concerned that if it's a crack it might grow, so I asked for a replacement which LV agreed to. Its expected delivery time has recently been pushed back from September to late February. I've got no ill feelings towards LV because of the delays.

I've been waiting about 2 months now for a backordered Acura air damper motor.

fwiw I ordered a saw from Japan, it took about 3 weeks to get here via mail., on the quick side of the expected delivery time range
    Hobbyist woodworker
    Maryland

I put the RH Veritas edge trimming plane in my cart and waited too long to pull the trigger. Current ETA is Spring 2022. I bought the LH version and learned yet another lesson in supply chain problems.

Honestly, I feel for small businesses that rely on consistent lead times. I work in power generation and supply problems are wreaking havoc on our large capital projects as well as creating a growing corrective maintenance backlog. The kind of impacts that would sink a small business if they couldn’t adapt. I guess the moral of the story is to do as stated above: support your neighbors, buy local if you can, support North American manufacturing and have patience with the folks in customer service.
    Last edited by David Zor; 09-12-2021 at 6:18 PM.

Blog Entries
    Welcome to the Creek David.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Thank you Scott for this welcome message about helping local and speciality businesses get through these challenging times. I am with you 100%. I am also with you, actually in line with you, for my right-handed skew rabbet plane with a PMV11 iron, now expected in December. Lets hope...