Thread: WTB 5/8" Veritas Tapered Tenon Cutter, chair tools

WTB 5/8" Veritas Tapered Tenon Cutter, chair tools

Hello everyone,

I'm interested in adding staked furniture to my repertoire and went to the LV site to buy a 5/8" Veritas tapered tenon cutter. Alas, it's backordered until February 26, 2022. I was hoping to start sooner than five months from now, so thought I'd see if anyone has one they're willing to sell.

While we're at it, I'm also looking for a Veritas large tapered reamer (also backordered), and a user-grade scorp/inshave and travisher.

I agree they're totally worth the price from LV and will buy there if I don't find these items before they become available again. And I know I can make a tapered tenon cutter once I have the reamer, which I'll do if I find the latter but not the former.

Let me know if you have any or all of these items - much appreciated!!

-Daniel

I might be able to come up with a spare travisher, I will have to look.

The LV tenon cutter will last about forever if you take care of it. The reamer is prone to losing its temper if you overpower it. I have two more tapered reamers on backorder. I use an auger file to keep my reamer sharp, if you don't have one you might as well order that. I am using the LN honing guide with the long jaws to keep my tenon cutter honed, the LN guide with long jaws works on the LV spokeshave blades also.

I'll send you a PM later this weekend when I find my travishers, pretty sure I have a spare.

Thanks Scott, I appreciate it! Definitely interested to see what youíve got - thanks for looking. I do hope I can find the Veritas reamer and tenon cutter, they seem to be the way to go for dipping your toe in the staked technique. Maybe Iíll just have to wait it outÖ

You can dip your toe with cylindrical dowel matched to a drill bit and not taper the holes at all. I made a stool for my bench out of a square piece of 2x10 that I shaped, with three of 24 inch 2x2 for the legs. I think I used a 3/4 auger bit and then made the tops of the legs 3/4 round with hand tools. I kerfed the tops of the legs and oriented the grain and wedged the kerfs during the glue up and then leveled the feet after it was dry.

I wasn't sure how long the stool would last, but the fool thing is still going and going and going, no call to replace it yet.

https://www.thechairmakerstoolbox.com/

Seems like a cool initiative. I plan on picking up a tenon cutter and reamer.

I donít think the taper is 100% necessary if ya wanna get started.

Chuck, I have the reamer and a tenon cutter from Elia Bizzarri and have been very pleased with them. So far, they have seen me through 9 Windsor chairs. However, I think the "pencil sharpener" style tenon cutters, while perfect for the work I do I am not sure they would work for Daniel's purpose as the rounded/tapered tenon produced by the Veritas cutter is an element of the staked furniture/log furniture design.

I have on order one of these https://www.westernloghomesupply.com...-cutter-2.html. It appears to be very similar to the Veritas unit, but a bit more costly. Nonetheless, it is in stock.

Left click my name for homepage link.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Winners View Post
    You can dip your toe with cylindrical dowel matched to a drill bit and not taper the holes at all. I made a stool for my bench out of a square piece of 2x10 that I shaped, with three of 24 inch 2x2 for the legs. I think I used a 3/4 auger bit and then made the tops of the legs 3/4 round with hand tools. I kerfed the tops of the legs and oriented the grain and wedged the kerfs during the glue up and then leveled the feet after it was dry.

I wasn't sure how long the stool would last, but the fool thing is still going and going and going, no call to replace it yet.
    Here is a post on my toe dipping using a cylindrical dowel for the tenon into the seat > https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?290777

It could have had a bit more splay on the legs.

The tenons were an interference fit and didn't need gluing.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)