Thread: Web Resource Lost?

Blog Entries

Web Resource Lost?

Imo, Johnny Kleso had one of the best Stanley/Bailey type studies on the internet.

It now seems to be gone.

I recall he had some health issues and it appears he hasn't posted here for years.

I did archive the study, but not sure how to resurrect it.

Rex Mill .jpg

Sadly, just because it is on the internet doesn't mean it will be around forever.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    Imo, Johnny Kleso had one of the best Stanley/Bailey type studies on the internet.

It now seems to be gone.

I recall he had some health issues and it appears he hasn't posted here for years.

I did archive the study, but not sure how to resurrect it.

Rex Mill .jpg

Sadly, just because it is on the internet doesn't mean it will be around forever.

jtk
    Couldn't agree more.

It was the best one out there and not just because it had photos illustrating each incremental change. It was also easy to use.
    Additionally, an amazing resource for would-be-restorers was also lost -- there were in-depth articles on every single aspect of plane rehabilitation.

I too pulled down my own copy years ago in anticipation of this day.

For those who wish to see it, use this

https://archive.org/web/

and type in "Rexmill.com"
    Last edited by Joe Bailey; 09-10-2021 at 5:52 PM.

Depending on how you archived it, would dictate how much work it would take to be placed on another web server, but then copyright issues technically exist.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Erich Weidner View Post
    Depending on how you archived it, would dictate how much work it would take to be placed on another web server, but then copyright issues technically exist.
    Joe Bailey posted a link that appears to have the whole site archived. Not sure how long the archive.org keeps old pages.

My copy is only of the web page with the type study. My archive also includes some earlier studies upon which Rexmill's study was based. They were assembled and added to over the years. An early study has this statement at the top:

Stanley-Bailey Type Study

This type study is based upon Roger Smith's original and includes many comments and updates from Patrick Leach. This information was originally on Jay Sutherland's website, but it went inactive sometime in 1999 or 2000.
    John Walter has a similar study in his Stanley Tools book and has a few on other Stanley planes.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."

Have you tried the Wayback Machine (internet archive)? https://archive.org/web/

I found all of Steven Russell's wonderful articles on wood, wood processing, drying, and woodturning there. I saved a bunch with the browser "Save page as" function. For each article it made a .HTML file along with any sub pages and photos. To view them I simply double-click the html file name.

JKJ

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    Have you tried the Wayback Machine (internet archive)? https://archive.org/web/
    [edited]
    JKJ
    Yes, Joe Bailey posted the link. Do you have any idea how long they keep their archives?

That seems like it would take a lot of server space to store the whole internet.

jtk

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    Yes, Joe Bailey posted the link. Do you have any idea how long they keep their archives?

That seems like it would take a lot of server space to store the whole internet.

jtk
    I don't know of a time limit. What I imagine is more limiting is if site owners opt out of having their web site archived. I've used the archive a lot and some searches report archives are unavailable for that reason.
    Personally, I save on local drives what I'd really hate to lose even if it's archived. One reason is accessing the archive can be dreadfully slow! When run from a local drive it's instantaneous and except for possible dead links, it looks and acts exactly like the original. A drawback of this is if an archived site is updated before it goes down I won't have the latest. A huge plus is if it's not archived I still have my copy!

The amount of data on the internet is staggering. One count puts the data stored by just Google, Amazon, Microsoft and Facebook at over 1.2 million terrabytes. (1,200,000,000,000 megabytes if I've figured correctly)