Thread: Cutting dado with Kapex miter saw - looking for feedback

Cutting dado with Kapex miter saw - looking for feedback

Looking for feedback from anyone who has used the Festool Kapex miter saw to cut dados.

Does the finished dado have a consistent depth, from one dado to the next?

How smooth is the bottom of the dado ?

What is the maximum length of dado ? I understand a sacrificial fence is required when cutting dado.

97B9BC3A-64FA-40D4-A51F-2C17D4F7565D.jpeg

I have done a couple of dados on the Kapex. Its laborious, and the cut quality isn’t as good as a router, but its not bad if you are consistent. . You don’t need a sacrificial fence, just a piece of scrap long enough to register against the fence. I think you can cut a dado about 200-220 long.

The blade isnt a flat bottom blade So it would be impossible to get a perfectly smooth bottom. I would think cutting the outer cuts to your desired depth and stopping the center just shy of depth and cleaning it up with a chisel would be the best if you really want the Kapex to do this. Im not sure if anyone offers a flat bottom blade for the kapex that may be an option. But if you are doing many A router or table saw with dado blade may be a better option.

I’ve used mine several times to make angled dados in long 3/4 stock about 2-3 in wide. Used a thin long ruler to position wood back from fence so I could get a full cut. Depth is easy to dial in. But precise width is operator dependent. Cleaned up bottom with chisel or shoulder plane. For one offs or just a few much faster than setting up TS.