Thread: what wax product to coat end of boards with

what wax product to coat end of boards with

Greetings to all --

In late October/early November, I'm taking delivery of a whole bunch of green black locust for garden beds to be built in the spring. Wondering which type of wax-based products others have used to coat the ends of the boards to minimize checks/splits.

Thanks in advance --

Anchor seal is the product most often recommended but it’s a tad expensive. Some folks have good luck using latex paint.
    There is a very fine line between “hobby” and “mental illness.” - Dave Barry

Every yard I deal with uses paint. It's also great for color coding species or individual batches.

Anchorseal isnt that expensive 40 /gal. Its alot if you dont get green wood often but if you plan to do it, and depending on how much of a load your getting now thats where i would lean

Blog Entries
    I use beeswax. I melt the wax and simply dip the end of the board into it.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Quote Originally Posted by Ned Otter View Post
    Greetings to all --

In late October/early November, I'm taking delivery of a whole bunch of green black locust for garden beds to be built in the spring. Wondering which type of wax-based products others have used to coat the ends of the boards to minimize checks/splits.

Thanks in advance --
    Unless you coat the end of the log within 3 days of cutting it's not of much benefit to coat them.

John

Quote Originally Posted by John TenEyck View Post
    Unless you coat the end of the log within 3 days of cutting it's not of much benefit to coat them.

John
    +1 ...
    One you receive the boards its too late. The logs need to be coated ASAP after felling the trees.

Is it too late because they naturally seal?

There's another recent thread here https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread....s-Anchorseal-2 that discusses products.
    < insert spurious quote here >

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Cooper View Post
    Is it too late because they naturally seal?
    Its too late because the drying that causes end checking begins pretty much as soon as the tree hits the ground. You want to seal the ends of the capillaries ASAP to make every attempt at slowing the rate the ends lose moisture in relation to the rest of the log.

Thanks very much to everyone that replied, really appreciate it.