Thread: New Veritas Straight Edge

New Veritas Straight Edge

Well I received my New veritas 60" straight edge from Lee Valley Tools . Left on our front porch by the Fedex man. I hope it doesn't look like a pretzel
    box.jpg
    I was really concerned about it at first. I took photos and sent them to Lee Valley explaining my concern. That was Wed 9/8 and still haven't heard back from them. I got up enough nerve to open it and take a look. Relieved it was in a protective tube and all is well !!
    tube.jpg

In fact, I read Rob Lee respond to this issue several years ago. The packaging is in fact designed to take the abuse so the contents are not harmed. Crumple zones, etc. I don’t want to misrepresent him, but I can say that this would not have worried me if the contents were fine.

I’m sure it’s fine. But I would check any straight edge with the old ‘draw a pencil line ,then turn the tool around and see if it matches test’
    I would never lend out a straight-edge. When someone asks to borrow one ….I offer them a complimentary yard-stick !

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Burke View Post
    I was really concerned about it at first. I took photos and sent them to Lee Valley explaining my concern. That was Wed 9/8 and still haven't heard back from them.
    Call them if you dont hear back on email in a day or two. Also, if you think it might have been damaged (looks unlikely), just ask them to send a replacement. I feel confident they will.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

I agree with taking pictures to document the condition of the packaging before opening but I wouldn't contact the seller unless the contents were damaged. My 5 cents worth. (We don't have pennies anymore so 5 cents is the lowest coinage).

That tube looks perfect. I wouldn’t be concerned. And I’m surprised you haven’t heard back from their customer service, they are excellent. double check you sent to right address and call next time. Live people are more helpful.

LV has such good customer service that I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't even ask to see the pic. If you told them you got a defective product, they would just replace it.

But the tube looks pristine. If you have a defective straight edge, doesn't seem like shopping would have caused it.

What can damage them is dropping them off your workbench onto a concrete floor. That was a painful lesson in being careless.

Just an update on this...the original one was fine so I was not worried about it.

I have not received an email or any contact with Lee Valley since I sent the photos of the damaged box. And I never called them or emailed them telling them things were good on my end.

So yesterday, look what's at our front door
    box.jpg
    Another box...still damaged a little but much better that the other one. I haven't opened it yet but from my order history on Lee Valley site looks like there is a return label shipped in the box for a return...

I was surprised to see another box here. I was also surprised not to hear from LV at all. But they took care of the problem. I am going to call them right now and get this taken care, and thank them for what they did.

Just thought I would share.

Normally when I receive a shipment in a damaged shipping box, I open it to see if the contents are damaged before contacting the vendor.

Was the concern that the straight edge was damaged in some way that you wouldn't be able to see? Why contact LV before checking to see if there's actually a problem first?

Now comes the ethics question. I recently ordered something from Amazon. It was delivered and the courier system tracking confirmed it but somehow the Amazon tracking system showed it lost. Amazon told me I could request a refund, I didn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Garson View Post
    Now comes the ethics question. I recently ordered something from Amazon. It was delivered and the courier system tracking confirmed it but somehow the Amazon tracking system showed it lost. Amazon told me I could request a refund, I didn't.
    I agree - I wouldnt ask for the refund either - you got the item and they were paid.

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Burke View Post
    Just an update on this...the original one was fine so I was not worried about it.
    Thanks for the update. Great to hear but not too surprising - it's LV after all...