Thread: Bandsaw availability Fall 2021

Bandsaw availability Fall 2021

I'm coming to grips with the fact that when i ordered a Rikon 10-347 back in early July, I actually was buying myself an Xmas present. Every couple of weeks, I get an email from Rockler bumping out the expected shipping date - at this point, given Eric Loza's posts about the European bandsaw shipping issues and the general lack of availability of the alternatives I considered (mainly the Laguna 18bx), I'm thinking that I'm not seeing the bandsaw until the end of the year at best. The only place that appears to have larger bandsaws in stock is Grizzly. Is there any reason for believing Rikon's backorders will arrive before the end of the year? Anyone hear of a distributor with a warehouse full of half-price European bandsaws just waiting by the phone for someone to call? As a hobbyist, I can afford to wait and there is, obviously, a global pandemic. But man, did I pick a bad time to upgrade the ole' bandsaw front or what!

It's a bad time to buy anything. From kitchen appliances to cars. Major automotive plants shutting down everywhere from supply chain interruptions! At the end of August, there were 44 container ships sitting off the coast of California waiting to come into port. https://www.businessinsider.com/ship...a-ports-2021-8

Geoff, my unsolicited advice: Decide which machine you want, get that vendor a deposit, and then go worry about things totally unrelated for several months (or however long). The Festool dealer was next to us at the Texas Woodworking Festival, last weekend. He told me that even they have no idea when they are getting replentished. I can tell you that we have had containers of machines sitting in port for over a month on the east and west coasts, because there just isn't enough manpower to handle the backlog. So, there is the manufacturing delay overseas, then the logistics backlog, domestically. Honestly, I think it will remain this way for at least another year. I'm to the point where I laugh about it now, because there is literally nothing you and I can do.

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

Erik, I think that's excellent advice. I did order the Rikon back in July, and I suspect I'll just ride it out - it'll be a nice surprise when it does turn up. But if any group knew of a better plan ("hey, Bandsaws-R-Us in Paramus was chock full of 18" Agazzani bandsaws"), it'd be here

Blog Entries
    .the local woodcraft in northern Colorado has Laguna bandsaws in stock…

According to the in-store availability on their website, they have a few 14bx's available, but not any of the 18bx's. Were you actually in the store? Did they have 18bx's? I'm looking to move up to at least an 18" bandsaw

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Barry View Post
    ....("hey, Bandsaws-R-Us in Paramus was chock full of 18" Agazzani bandsaws"), it'd be here
    If I had a entire container of used bandsaws, I could sell them all in one afternoon. Right now is probably the most supply-influenced market we'll all ever experience.

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

I have the Rikon 10-347. Bought it in July of 2020 and received it three months later, at least they knew when it would arrive. . Sorry you are having to wait but it is a great saw and I don’t think you will be disappointed.

I like to shop around on different sites. Some will give you an ETA on when the item is expected. Grizzly does a really good job of this with an actual date of when it's supposed to be back in stock, or if it's ready to ship. Also Acme tools does as well. I see some brands that are pushed out to Feb - March 2022.

A lot of web based stores don't care. They just want you to add to cart and pay the money. I would never order a machine without an ETA.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Barry View Post
    I'm coming to grips with the fact that when i ordered a Rikon 10-347 back in early July, I actually was buying myself an Xmas present. Every couple of weeks, I get an email from Rockler bumping out the expected shipping date - at this point, given Eric Loza's posts about the European bandsaw shipping issues and the general lack of availability of the alternatives I considered (mainly the Laguna 18bx), I'm thinking that I'm not seeing the bandsaw until the end of the year at best. The only place that appears to have larger bandsaws in stock is Grizzly. Is there any reason for believing Rikon's backorders will arrive before the end of the year? Anyone hear of a distributor with a warehouse full of half-price European bandsaws just waiting by the phone for someone to call? As a hobbyist, I can afford to wait and there is, obviously, a global pandemic. But man, did I pick a bad time to upgrade the ole' bandsaw front or what!
    I was going through this exact same thing not long ago! Along with a lack of availability, the prices had jumped up as well. It is a seller's market - that is if a seller can get one to sell.
    Like you I could wait and had narrowed down my list to the point I was waiting out availability. This allowed me time to look for any that may show up on the used market.

I very luckily saw one on sale in the classifieds here that was within driving distance for me. The seller (Ritch) is a super guy and I ended up with a far better bandsaw than I ever expected or knew I wanted. I have a SCM/Minimax/Centauro 24" bandsaw that is a wonderful tool!

Best of luck! Hopefully, you'll have as much luck.

11. Yet our local woodworking supplier has crates of machines stacked 3 high, multiple bandsaws, table saws, planers etc. Weird.