Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Disappointed with TS 55

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Lightstone View Post
    $1,585???? Ouch. Does this cut the wood while you're in another room having coffee?? Looks nice, but OMG!!!

Could be worse, I guess. The Mafell MSK 185Ec is $6,208.00. For a circular saw. What am I missing?

I am also looking to upgrade my TS55, but the upgraded version still doesn't look like it competes with the TS75. Doesn't sound like there is an upgrade coming for the TS75. Is that correct?
    Mafell's specialty lineup puts Festool's prices to shame. I briefly used a Mafell chain mortiser, and it was maybe slightly better in its function than the Festool/Protool chain mortiser. Both of those tools were similarly priced. However, with these track saws, they are in a league of their own. There is no competition to the 85E or 185E. If you need to make a portable tool cut of 3.5" thick, then it doesnt matter how much it costs. You need the 85E. Same can be said for the 185E, which is a 220v tool that is in its own league. Overall, they make some of the best and only tools in that class and therefore have an associated unique price.

I really havent had any issues or complaints against my TS75. I havent personally compared it against a Mafell, but i dont think it is a junk tool.

The OP is past this point but I made parallel guides for my DeWalt track but I don't use them. I think the idea was posted here. They work fine but I don't like handling especially the long track with the parallel guides attached. What I use instead are what I call track positioning guides. Simple plywood jigs with a sliding block and hairline pointer for it. One end has a dado that is a tight fit for the rib of the deWalt track. I have to position both ends of the track - and then go back and check the first end. But I like them better than a parallel jig. Makes repeated cuts very simple. I can also make a cut without marking and cutting to the line. Just set the movable block of the jig with the hairline pointer and installed sticky rule and use the jig to position the track. I'm sure it's possible to make something like this for a Festool style track but the DeWalt track with the one rib makes it easier.

I'm surprised nobody has made the "Tim the Toolman" recommendation for cutting thick slabs...that giant Skill beam saw. Yea, you'd need to make a beefy track, but...

--

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    I'm surprised nobody has made the "Tim the Toolman" recommendation for cutting thick slabs...that giant Skill beam saw. Yea, you'd need to make a beefy track, but...

It has such a great name too, the Super Sawsquatch. If i ever do another timber frame, that is the saw i would buy. Perhaps not applicable for doing glueline rips on big slabs, like the OP is doing, but its relatively inexpensive and all the framers love it.

Yea, it's a beast and a "reasonably priced" beast at that. I just posted it more for a chuckle. It wouldn't be the best for a "glue line rip" for sure, but those things will cut 6" timbers in one pass, depending on the species. I post framer I follow on the 'Tube uses one for exactly that...6" cedar timbers used for porch framing. He's doing some pretty tight miter cuts with it, too. Most recently, he's running it off a big Milwaukee battery power pack thing to avoid using a generator on-site.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Holcombe View Post
    What your missing is the large cost of machinery that does not perform its task effectively. I had a feeling I would eventually be just as disappointed with the TS75 as I am the TS55 and the cost of buying things only to have them struggle when you put them to the test and eventually replacing them gets very annoying and is cost/time ineffective.

When I hymn and haw then buy something almost as good it is inevitability a decision I regret and ultimately reverse later.

As example, I wasted a lot of time and energy on the Kapex only up eventually buy the Omga that was recommended to me a year prior. That Omga and the larger one I have now are/were both super nice ‘set it and forget it’ machines. I check their settings once every few months and they remain just as accurate as when they were first setup. They are also strong enough that I can use them to cut extruded aluminum accurately, so this past year when there was a three month backlog on cut-to-length aluminum extrusions I bought an aluminum blade and cut my own. Had the projects finished in two days rather than three months.
    Brian,

Was it the added cutting depth/power that lead you to the E 85 over the MT55? I am looking at setting up an MFT style bench with a track saw until I have enough space one day for a proper cabinet saw. I am eyeing the Mafell saws heavily.

Not Brian, but I have experience with Mafell and can chime in.

85 gives you 3 3/16” depth (on the track) vs 2” on the track with the MT55. 17 amp vs 13.5 amp motor, respectively.

The Mafell 55 is probably a great choice if you work with mostly 4/4 material or sheet goods, but if you have a need for a track saw and work with 8/4 and above regularly, then the 85 is going to be a better choice, especially for ripping just from the motor size alone, but of course the added DOC is a nice option for those times when you need it.

I have never regretted a Mafell tool in a professional setting.
    Still waters run deep.

Is the Mafell 85 or 55 vacuum outlet compatible or easily adaptable to Festool vacuum hoses? As expensive as they are, they are getting tempting with selling my TS55. Today again I had real issues with the saw stalling on 5/4 hardwood on the track. Just not powerful enough.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

9. Thanks Phillip. This is helpful. I might consider the 85 at this point for the headroom down the line.

Blog Entries
    Mafell 85 didn’t even blink in 2.25” material.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

85 gives you 3 3/16” depth (on the track) vs 2” on the track with the MT55. 17 amp vs 13.5 amp motor, respectively.
    Wow. 17 amp is a really heavy draw. A couple of my 15 amp tools balk at starting at the end of even a short (10 ft) 12 ga extension. I can't imagine trying to spin up 17 amps.
    My granddad always said, :As one door closes, another opens".
    Wonderful man, terrible cabinet maker...

I have used some other Mafell tools that are rated at 20 amps @ 120V. It’s a good idea to use a dedicated 20 amp circuit or at least a circuit that you have some control over the remaining circuit load while using the tools ie; not a circuit with lights or a similar utility. I have popped 20 amp breakers a handful of times using the chain mortiser (20 amps) only when there was additional load on the same circuit. When using on a dedicated circuit, I’ve never had an issue on 20 amp breakers. Often times, Mafell tools come with long cords to help cut down on the use of extension cords.

A 12 gauge ext cord (should be) rated the same as 12 ga wire (20 amps) and 10’ of length shouldn’t be the problem. There was likely other loads on that circuit if you were having trouble starting a 15 amp tool.
    Still waters run deep.

I'm seriously looking at the Mafell KSS80EC now. But ouch, the price, and availability is?
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

Niece Lumber has a fine selection of Festool products.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Ramsey View Post
    Niece Lumber has a fine selection of Festool products.
    A couple people have mentioned Niece Lumber. They're in Lambertville NJ. 609 397 1200. I used to live just across the river. Lambertville has a couple interesting stores, Niece Lumber and Finkle's Hardware.