Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Disappointed with TS 55

Cliff
    I have the TS75 for exactly the use you need. It does nice work, but they are wicked expensive.
    If you run into the problem again, flip the track around and use the back side of the guide track as a reference fence for a regular circular saw. You'll need the clamps and maybe a few in the middle so that the saw base doesn't force it's way under the track.
    It sounds as if you're using rough cut lumber, and the sawyer was maybe a little generous with the 8/4 dimension. A TS55 can cut through dimensioned 8/4, and the gullets will be exposed underneath. Doesn't help you with your current problem though.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

There was a decent looking TS75 on the Charlotte, NC Craigslist yesterday for $600 that I noticed when I was cruising last night. Might be a good deal for someone? Not sure what they cost(ed) new.
    Still waters run deep.

Philip,

That's not a deal. I see them listed new for $675. Of course that's if you can find one in stock.

Cliff
    The problem with the world is that intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence.
    Charles Bukowski

I started with TS55 and soon realized was under powered and too small for 8/4. I got lucky I was offered a free swap/upgrade to TS75 when they recalled the initial updated TS55. TS75 is bulkier/heavier for most works but works well for 8/4.

Blog Entries
    Neice Lumber has the TS75
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Changing to a ripping blade will help a bunch. I have a TS-75 and like the power increase over the smaller Makita version. However, the offcut splinter guard doesn’t engage on 3/4” plywood unless you plunge it way down past the material. My only complaint.

Brian,

Do you have a link? I can't seem to find it on the site.

Cliff
    The problem with the world is that intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence.
    Charles Bukowski

8. I just finished an audio rack made of 2" Sapelle for the tables...my TS75 w. stock blade cut thru like butter. 1 15/16"...so close!! )

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Cliff Polubinsky View Post
    Brian,

Do you have a link? I can't seem to find it on the site.

Cliff

Cliff, I would just call them. I spoke to one of the staff members Thursday evening and he mentioned three in stock.

I’m passing this along because I ordered a Mafell E85 so I no longer need the festool deal.

I think I’ll sell my TS55 once this one arrives.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Holcombe View Post

I’m passing this along because I ordered a Mafell E85 so I no longer need the festool deal.
    $1,585???? Ouch. Does this cut the wood while you're in another room having coffee?? Looks nice, but OMG!!!

Could be worse, I guess. The Mafell MSK 185Ec is $6,208.00. For a circular saw. What am I missing?

I am also looking to upgrade my TS55, but the upgraded version still doesn't look like it competes with the TS75. Doesn't sound like there is an upgrade coming for the TS75. Is that correct?
    Last edited by Alan Lightstone; 09-12-2021 at 11:42 AM.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

Blog Entries
    What your missing is the large cost of machinery that does not perform its task effectively. I had a feeling I would eventually be just as disappointed with the TS75 as I am the TS55 and the cost of buying things only to have them struggle when you put them to the test and eventually replacing them gets very annoying and is cost/time ineffective.

When I hymn and haw then buy something almost as good it is inevitability a decision I regret and ultimately reverse later.

As example, I wasted a lot of time and energy on the Kapex only up eventually buy the Omga that was recommended to me a year prior. That Omga and the larger one I have now are/were both super nice ‘set it and forget it’ machines. I check their settings once every few months and they remain just as accurate as when they were first setup. They are also strong enough that I can use them to cut extruded aluminum accurately, so this past year when there was a three month backlog on cut-to-length aluminum extrusions I bought an aluminum blade and cut my own. Had the projects finished in two days rather than three months.

Another option might be to get an inexpensive Evolution track saw. I think you could use your Festool or Makita track with it. It has a 15A motor and can use a 7.25 inch blade to cut 2 5/16 deep with the track. I picked one up for our volunteer group at church and have used it several times. With a 60 tooth Milwaukee 7.25 inch blade I am getting nice clean cuts. It is not a plunge saw, however, the blade guard works like a circular saw. At Home Depot it's available for just under $140. Might not be what you want to use all the time but for ripping 8/4 it seems better suited than 6.5 inch track saws. The TS75 only has a 1600W motor - so the Evolution saw is more powerful. I don't think your sacrificial strip will be in the right place with this saw but that may be a good thing if you keep the TS55 for shallower cuts. You put an adapter on the arbor to use 7.25 inch blades which pushes them further from the guide rib of the track. If you did want to use this saw for all your work you could put on a new strip but it might work best if you like your TS55 for most things and just need to do the occasional rips of 8/4.

I would never use my bandsaw for this sort of thing. It can handle it but I do not have the infeed and outfeed support that would be required. I too like ripping 8/4 with my track saw. I use a DeWalt but I have found it's depth of cut lacking before - apparently because the wood was a little over 2 inches thick. I also had to get a ripping blade but it is a 160mm freud so I loose rip capacity. Sometimes the stock 165mm blade will work.

Blog Entries
    I made a purchase that I’m happy with, I weighted the options available.

"When I hymn and haw then buy something almost as good it is inevitability a decision I regret and ultimately reverse later."

So true, every time I try to save money I waste a lot of time.
    This was reality when I was young and had little money, now not so bad.
    Still can't afford the industrial quality even though I can appreciate it.
    I try to by the best I can afford, sometimes spending way more than I can afford, then just have to wait longer for next purchase.
    Ron

Jim,

The Evolution looks interesting. I'll have to research it a bit and see if it solves the problem. Would be a low cost solution for the occasional deeper cuts.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Cliff
    Charles Bukowski