Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Disappointed with TS 55

Disappointed with TS 55

I recently sold my Dewalt track saw and bought the Festool TS 55. Yesterday was the first time I used it. We were cutting 4 - 16" x 8' 8/4 Sapele slabs to fit them through my 12" planer. I was surprised when the saw didn't cut all the way through the slabs, it was 1/8" short. I ended up using the rip side of a large ryoba to finish the cuts.

Obviously it's my fault for not checking the specs on the saw, but I never expected a track saw wouldn't cut 2". Unfortunately this is one of the things I use a track saw for. I guess I'll have to sell the Festool and buy a new saw, probably the Makita.

And so it goes.

Cliff
    The problem with the world is that intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence.
    Charles Bukowski

Sounds like the tool you really wanted was the TS75. Another issue that could be working against you is rough 8/4 should be more like 2.25" thick. Too bad you are ripping such wide stock down to fit through your planer.

I own a TS75, and think its the best of the bunch. It is slightly underpowered for making heavy cuts through hardwood, but i think if you can only own one then the TS75 is where its at. The other track saws are really intended for sheet good processers.

Blog Entries
    The ts75 seems to be temporarily discontinued….
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Definitely out of stock. The skyrocketing prices ive seen on craigslist and ebay certainly have me thinking about selling my beloved tool. PM me if anyone is hankering for a TS75 and wants to grossly overpay for a used one : )

I'd suggest a bandsaw is a much better way to rip 8/4 stock. Can't say I ever bought something without checking the specs.

What you really want is this girl.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    Yes, that is correct. I did not realize Mafell’s saws in that range were 120v and would run on a track.

Sweet!
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

To the OP:

Why did you sell the Dewalt?

Quote Originally Posted by johnny means View Post
    What you really want is this girl.
    With the price i keep seeing the TS75's sell for, the Mafell is a bargain. If i ever do another timber frame, i would love to own the biggest boy in the stable for a brief period of time.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Kane View Post
    Too bad you are ripping such wide stock down to fit through your planer.
    It is slightly underpowered for making heavy cuts through hardwood,...
    Patrick,

We're planning on gluing the parts back together. It's fairly straight grain so I think the seam will dissappear. And the underpowered comment is what's making me consider the Makita. I wasn't pushing the cut hard at all and the 55 overheated. I never had that problem with the Dewalt.

Cliff
    The problem with the world is that intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence.
    Charles Bukowski

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Hollingsworth View Post
    To the OP:

Why did you sell the Dewalt?
    I wanted access to the track accessories the Festool/Makita tracks have, like the track guides and right angle accessories. I haven't found anything like those for the Dewalt. Other than that it handled everything I needed it to.

Cliff
    Charles Bukowski

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Coers View Post
    I'd suggest a bandsaw is a much better way to rip 8/4 stock. Can't say I ever bought something without checking the specs.
    I completely agree. But I was planning on gluing the pieces back together and I thought the track saw would give a cleaner line and be less noticeable.

And normally I get obsessive about comparing specs. I repeatedly went over everything but the depth of cut. It just never occurred to me that it would be so shallow.

Cliff
    Last edited by Cliff Polubinsky; 09-09-2021 at 5:54 PM.
    Charles Bukowski

The TS55 ships with a plywood blade: lots of teeth, negative tooth angle. It does not rip solid lumber well at all. Buy a rip blade and you’ll have a whole new machine.

Like always- the right tool for the job.

Quote Originally Posted by Cliff Polubinsky View Post
    I completely agree. But I was planning on gluing the pieces back together and I thought the track saw would give a cleaner line and be less noticeable.

And normally I get obsessive about comparing specs. I repeatedly went over everything but the depth of cut. It just never occurred to me that it would be so shallow.

Cliff
    Its a little confusing, because they quote depth of cut WITH and WITHOUT the track. Without the track, the TS55 can make a 2"+ depth of cut. With the track, it only does 1 15/16"

Is it within 30 days of purchase? Return it for free.