Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Some folks find treasure when remodeling.....

I heard that people would get washed up seaweed at the beach and dry it then use it for wall insulation.
    Bill D

We have an old army base nearby, it's been taken over by the state game and parks and turned into a tourist location. The old quartermasters building is now a theatre, they put on shows all summer and have good funding. Some years ago, they changed the stage around, and the contractors doing it found a couple crates of new US Cavalry trapdoor Springfields under the floor. Speculation is that some old quartermaster was hoarding them for resale.

We were pretty excited to do some work on the stage a several years later, but they apparently found all the rifles.

I like to joke around with the customers about finding gold bars in the walls. In this area it is a real possibility.

The Army base in Monterey California is being turned over to civilian use. They had a large hill that they fired artillery into. It is maybe one mile across. They found several different cases of unfired ammunition hidden in the bushes. Story is a unit would be issued ammunition and told to go fire it all off and then their day was over.
    They have also found buried stuff like grenades, rockets, mines etc.
    Metal detecting is outlawed on the property.
    Bill D

https://www.montereycountyweekly.com...655ef662d.html
    Last edited by Bill Dufour; 09-18-2021 at 11:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    The Army base in Monterey California is being turned over to civilian use. They had a large hill that they fired artillery into. It is maybe one mile across. They found several different cases of unfired ammunition hidden in the bushes. Story is a unit would be issued ammunition and told to go fire it all off and then their day was over.
    Bill D

Finding old stuff is fun usually, not in that case!!

My sister and husband rented a house in northern PA that had knee walls in the attic and a semi finished room. Behind the knee walls were 15 years worth of old magazines and catalogs from the 1905 to 1920 era. I found those to be quite interesting and a neat window into life back then. When we bought an 1860's farmhouse. I pulled up the attic floor to install insulation. lots of very very large ladies bloomers' and underpants stuffed in there along with some kids school stuff and a report card from about 1935.

In San Francisco they turned Hunters Point Navy shipyard into housing and a ballpark. They supposedly cleaned up 150 years worth of bad stuff. They found radioactive deck markers in newly built basements.
    Bill D

What’s funny is that I’ve never found this on any of the many remodeling and demolition jobs I’ve done over the years. Having said that, I just tore out an unwanted wall this week that had the spaces between the wall studs packed full of scrap drywall. They even threw in the cutouts removed from the electrical boxes. Less than happy that I got to haul out and dispose of their drywall refuse along with my project’s debris. (Seeing as I didn’t have a convenient new wall to store it all in. Lol)

Clint

Clint that was not debris it was a feature. It is mass loading the wall to reduce noise transmission and increase thermal storage/lag.
    Bill D.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    Bill D

My son went to the language school there in the late 90's. When we visited him we took a drive around the base. The enormous tank sheds, the hundreds of barracks buildings, the deserted onbase housing - it was like the aliens had come to town and removed all of the humans. Nice to hear the property is finally being reused.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Jim Mackell
    Arundel, ME