Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Figs

Having nothing to do with the fabrication of the Newton’s, well, other than the eating, Stan is right. The dough is the issue. John, you might want to pick up a copy of “Fig Heaven” byt Marie Simmons.

Fig Newtons

Recipe for FN’s. IP am sure, John, that if you closely follow your wife’s directions you will be succeful.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Frederick View Post
    Recipe for FN’s. IP am sure, John, that if you closely follow your wife’s directions you will be succeful.
    Thanks. With her recent surgery I'm the chief cook and bottle washer now but her expert consulting is valuable and inexpensive.

Do you dry the figs in a dehydrator?

JKJ

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post

Do you dry the figs in a dehydrator?

JKJ
    Well, we've never had the opportunity to get fresh figs but rarely, and if we did, I'd eat them before they could be used. So we use dried figs from the grocery store, as they are always plentiful.

I guess you'd want to dry them very thoroughly, because they need to be chopped very finely, and you don't want mush.
    < insert spurious quote here >

Quote Originally Posted by Stan Calow View Post
    Well, we've never had the opportunity to get fresh figs but rarely, and if we did, I'd eat them before they could be used. So we use dried figs from the grocery store, as they are always plentiful.

I guess you'd want to dry them very thoroughly, because they need to be chopped very finely, and you don't want mush.
    Thanks. My Lovely Bride reminded me I bought a food dehydrator book. It has good instructions for figs. I think I have enough for a fig newton run.

JKJ

We have friends who dehydrate them with good result. My neighbor tells me they freeze them.

Figs are just plain delicious! I am surprised that they are not more popular.

My SIL in LA has a couple of trees and tried to ship us a fairly large box of them. They don't travel well
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Interestingly, I've had more than one neighbor turn down free figs because "there are wasps/eggs/larvae inside" and they don't want to eat bugs. The Brown Turkey fig is self pollinating and no wasp is necessary, but even if the wasp was present they are minute, a natural and symbiotic part of the fig ecosystem and have been dissolved by an enzyme produced by the fig long before the fruit ripens. I think people equate the crunch of the seeds with the thought of "eating a bug" and miss out on a delicious treat.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Calver View Post
    Interestingly, I've had more than one neighbor turn down free figs because "there are wasps/eggs/larvae inside" and they don't want to eat bugs. The Brown Turkey fig is self pollinating and no wasp is necessary, but even if the wasp was present they are minute, a natural and symbiotic part of the fig ecosystem and have been dissolved by an enzyme produced by the fig long before the fruit ripens. I think people equate the crunch of the seeds with the thought of "eating a bug" and miss out on a delicious treat.
    What, have they forgotten the chocolate-covered insect craze of decades ago? Chocolate covered ants, grasshopper, honeybees, etc. And what about the recipes I saw this year for cooking cicadas?