Thread: PVC Trim

PVC Trim

Not 'zactly woodworking but I thought I'd get better responses here.

I'm making a frame with some PVC molding that will have 45 degree corners. I'd like to glue the corners but don't know what to use. I tried clear PVC pipe glue and it didn't hold. Would loctite grab- it work?
    Confidence: The feeling you experience before you fully understand the situation

Blog Entries
    They make pvc glue for pvc sheet/trim
    20201017_124947.jpg

Google "Weld-On"

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

The typical solvent cement for cellular PVC trim is a water based PVC cement because it flashes off slower an allows more time for the solvent weld to occur. You may try a can of material from the manufacturer or any other. That said, getting a structural joint there may be tough. Ive mitered a lot of PVC with the water based solvent cement but we always run a lock miter on the shaper to get more solvent weld area. Ive never tried it with just a straight miter.
    Last edited by Mark Bolton; 09-08-2021 at 11:22 AM.

Having had woo[den trim fail miserably when we remodeled our home in ‘13 we went with Azek. We cut some biscuits and used the biscuit jointer for alignment and used their suggested glue. Every joint is tight and it looks like new. I hated using it but, it has been great.

The various manufacturers all recommend a specific product for their PVC trim. Our exterior trim is all PVC trim, painted. It has held up perfectly now for 10 years and still doesn't need repainting. Use the correct products and it will be a trouble-free product.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Bolton View Post
    The typical solvent cement for cellular PVC trim is a water based PVC cement because it flashes off slower an allows more time for the solvent weld to occur. You may try a can of material from the manufacturer or any other. That said, getting a structural joint there may be tough. Ive mitered a lot of PVC with the water based solvent cement but we always run a lock miter on the shaper to get more solvent weld area. Ive never tried it with just a straight miter.
    A straight miter (fold) works as well.
    20201021_161826.jpg
    20210311_084457.jpg

I used the Azek glue on plain un-reinforced miters. Eight years on it's holding up fine. That said, it's a place where a biscuit wouldn't hurt. Other PVC glues are undoubtedly cheaper.

Quote Originally Posted by Jared Sankovich View Post
    A straight miter (fold) works as well.
    Gosh.. Those are some major beauties Jared. When I saw your post above I was going to ask for a couple finished product photos just to see. Phenomenal work. Tack sharp...

PVC ("Gorilla") glue works for PVC (and HDU). There are also some solvent types you can use, but be sure to test to insure they don't just melt the stuff into a puddle rather than melt just enough to joint together as one piece.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

For Azek trim, I have made Azek domino's and used my domino to make domino joints. I was using these on 90 degree corners but no reason they wouldn't work the same as using a domino on any 45 degree joint. Oh, and always used the Azek glue.