Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: speaking of wasps

speaking of wasps

had a small nest last week and put Lacquer thinner in a hand spray bottle and it took them out instantly. this one will be more of a battle. I was going to order a suit of armor but not sure id be able to run too fast.

I have some Wasp Be Gone spray foam stuff, no hose with it and wonder.

Is this best done at night, its cooling down here to maybe 50 approx at night. They should be busy counting sheep. Be ideal if they had taken sleeping pills.

What about a plan of attack, I can see spray in the hole and if I can get enough in it blocks it, the can says stand back five feet and do that, I dont think so, there is no tube with the can. I figured spray into the hole as much as I can then stand back and spray the hole thing and soak it. Then leave it for the next day rather than try and rip it off at the time.

I looked at you tubes and all guys I saw had suits on and worked in the day.

Any common sense appreciated. Im always surprised at the wallop these little things have. I had rebuilt a roof years ago and forgot to close the lid on my sippy mug. Gathered my tools and took a swig and that was not ideal.

Second photo looks like only one entry hole, third photo a bit more below that shot and looks a bit open only they only go in and out the one hole.

Capture.JPGdfggg.JPGdgr.JPG

Yes, at night and put a red filter over your flashlight. They are generally quiet at that point. Soapy water will also kill them.

We also wear a beekeeper's suit, but not everyone has that...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

However, and whenever you tackle it, have someone take video.

Wear some type of eye protection when spraying so as not to get blow back in your eyes. Very painful.
    My Dad always told me "Can't Never Could".

SWE

The stuff I have - in a typical rattle can size - says right on the can "sprays 18 feet." And it does. No hose or anything. Just don't want to throw that can into a fire. Must have a little pressure in there.
    Dave

Nothing is idiot-proof for a sufficiently ingenious idiot!

thanks on the eyes, good point I could almost wear my 3M fresh air suit as it has a 50 foot hose, will have to use a ladder and as far as spray looks like 5 feet or more but it would be like playing darts to try and get that in the hole. I figured i go to the hole first on the ladder, shoot a gaggle in and come down then spray the whole thing.

My grandpa was a contract painter, and whenever he ran into a nest on a job site he would douse it with paint thinner. That worked great for small nests. For a large one once, I saw him spray paint thinner through his airless sprayer and soak that nest. Not a single wasp survived as far as I know.

I like to spray it at night when they are all inside. The non-foaming wasp/hornet spray will penetrate the outer paper. I do wear a bee suit.

At night, from a decent distance. Too close and any that might be close by will attack. The foaming stuff that shoots 18’ or so will get that nest I bet. Hose it down, check it in the morning.

Quote Originally Posted by David Dockstader View Post
    The stuff I have - in a typical rattle can size - says right on the can "sprays 18 feet." And it does. No hose or anything. Just don't want to throw that can into a fire. Must have a little pressure in there.
    That sounds like the stuff I have used. Worked to complete satisfaction.

Is that a wasp nest??? or hornets???

this is the best i can do. They are getting annoying you sit out back 35 feet away and they hassle you. Twice ive been standing looking at them and a Kamakazi guy comes straight from the nest for my forehead. Thunderstorms tonight so leaving it alone tonight. can you tell me what they are and does it matter either way, pain in the butt they are. The one on the front small and easy and the lacquer thinner took them out instantly. The foaming stuff that shoots it makes sense it gets into the hole and think you would need to do that first or maybe if you stand back and cover it you can still force some past into the hole

P1560041A.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Aumiller View Post
    Is that a wasp nest??? or hornets???
    Hornets are wasps. So are yellow jackets. They are all evil.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I bought some Spectracide PRO Wasp and Hornet Killer to get rid of some nests of those devils. It sprays 20 feet and whatever is in it will continue to kill returning hornets for 4 weeks. Knocked out the whole nest in one application in one day.
    Confidence: The feeling you experience before you fully understand the situation

They are yellow jackets... Yes, they are wasps... but in our area are referred to as yellow jackets or small hornets... They are nasty and will follow you if you disturb them.. Do NOT squash them as this will release an odor that will bring others to it.....
    Recommend spraying outside of nest with diesel fuel, having two cans of wasp/hornet spray ready and be prepared to run for cover... The cooler it is outside, the better...