Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sawstop save...could have been bad...

I have my dad's old Craftsman 100 all ready to go... nowhere until I get the zero clearance throat plate and splitter in place. Various push sticks and blocks are on their way.
    Good point about the garage door. Now I have to try to get it through to my wife NO interruptions when the saw is running. That'll be fun. (sarcastic)

Very glad that you avoided disaster!

It wouldn't be hard to put a garage door outlet on a switched plug.

I have been startled by that a few times. Fortunately, I now have only the inside switch for the garage door in my shop (no car inside...no remote).
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

Your story is why I got a Sawstop and my wife was 150% behind my purchase. And I was even more pleased at how smooth and quiet it operates.

After touching the side of the rotating blade twice a few years back I purchased a SawStop Industrial model . Even thou that has never happened again I am very happy with the SawSop for it's safety feature . I was lucky as it was only a warming slightly of the finger and not an accident .Glad to hear the operator of the SawStop only had a minor cut when his thumb contacted the blade . I face my table saw so if anyone enters the shop I will see them and not get startled . One could install a sign asked people to stand by the door until recognized .

While I'm not a fan of cabinet saws anymore...missing my slider big-time...I'm not displeased that the PCS I'm using in my temporary shop so I actually have a table saw to use has the safety feature. I do wish that this kind of thing was more ubiquitous in the industry at this point.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I like my PCS and am glad I avoided my normal tendency to be cheap and bought it. It replaced a Ryobi BT3100 that I had worn the female threads off the height adjustment aluminum casting (I could have fixed it but decided it was time for an upgrade).

I wanted the additional safety and I'm sure it saved me the end of a finger. But I also don't like the technology at times. I still have not successfully used a dado stack on it, for instance. My one incident was with a dado stack which was ruined, of course. I had never changed a cartridge at that point and the process of changing from the blade to the dado cartridge took time, as did setting up the dado stack. Now I could do it easier and quicker. But first time it was a hassle. It certainly wasn't the reason I got stupid and held a small wooden block over the zero clearance insert as I raised the blade but I think it didn't help. I still keep the manual - which is pretty good, long but well illustrated and very useful, on the saw to deal with all the light codes. I do not get many now but did initially. The technology is at least a little bit of a hassle at times but still I think it is well worth it.

The need for the change-over has caused me to just use a router or multiple cuts with the normal blade for dados. That is working fine for me and my be my permanent "fix". But people with a little patience could make a PCS work fine for dados.

Like Jim I upgraded from a Ryobi BT benchtop to a 3hp PCS. Had used the Ryobi for decades. My wife and daughter insisted I buy a Sawstop when we all visited Highland Hardware in Atlanta. I make my living as a surgeon so I should have bought a Sawstop a long time ago. Absolutely love the saw!

I had unrelated hand surgery last year that left me with a lot less nerves available for knowing where all my fingers were. The Sawstop proved to be an ideal solution to keep what I have intact. I can never be sure when cutting if my digits are where they’re supposed to be unless I am watching like a hawk. BTW, finger surgery is painful stuff — there is a reason bad guys break fingers.

You are smart and lucky.

I had a shop teacher in junior high school that mangled his hand on a table saw and I got to watch it. I saw a couple of other accidents working on a framing crew in the 1970s building homes with a Comet type radial arm saw, and the foreman taught me how to respect power tools. While the Comet was indeed a little dangerous, we used it for nearly everything, and it while it wasn't inherently dangerous, some cuts required thinking them through. I have carried his lessons into my daily shop routine.

Ever since then, I take table saws and joiners very, very seriously. I often spend minutes setting up a cut, I often rehearse the cut, figuring out where I want my feet, my body and my hands. Where am I going to grab the wood? Do I have the right blade? Is the fence nice and tight? Where will my left hand be, so I can hit the power switch if things go bad? Do I have room to move to the right and left? Do I need a push stick or push block? If so, which one? Will I need hold downs? If so, from the side or the top? It honestly may take me 10 minutes to set up a cut and rehearse it.

I never, ever use the table saw at night, when I might be tired, or the light is not perfect. For crucial cuts, I do them mid morning after I have a had a cup of coffee. I don't work when I am angry, upset, sick or might become distracted. I'll sometimes turn off the shop radio, and get focused.

Table saws are serious business.
    Regards,

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas McCurnin View Post
    You are smart and lucky.

I had a shop teacher in junior high school that mangled his hand on a table saw and I got to watch it. I saw a couple of other accidents working on a framing crew in the 1970s building homes with a Comet type radial arm saw, and the foreman taught me how to respect power tools. While the Comet was indeed a little dangerous, we used it for nearly everything, and it while it wasn't inherently dangerous, some cuts required thinking them through. I have carried his lessons into my daily shop routine.

Ever since then, I take table saws and joiners very, very seriously. I often spend minutes setting up a cut, I often rehearse the cut, figuring out where I want my feet, my body and my hands. Where am I going to grab the wood? Do I have the right blade? Is the fence nice and tight? Where will my left hand be, so I can hit the power switch if things go bad? Do I have room to move to the right and left? Do I need a push stick or push block? If so, which one? Will I need hold downs? If so, from the side or the top? It honestly may take me 10 minutes to set up a cut and rehearse it.

I never, ever use the table saw at night, when I might be tired, or the light is not perfect. For crucial cuts, I do them mid morning after I have a had a cup of coffee. I don't work when I am angry, upset, sick or might become distracted. I'll sometimes turn off the shop radio, and get focused.

Table saws are serious business.
    Perfect! Same with me-it's like going through a 747 checklist. I'll add being overhungry, my blood sugar takes a nose dive and if that happens justifiable homicide comes to mind and it's downhill from there. ���� Not serious, just making a point. Ask any hypoglycemic! Also my wife being a PIA with some BS interruption.

I'm a night guy. No way in hell would I do cuts in the morning. I peak around 7-8 pm. So in that 'launch window' is when I'll make cuts.

Glad you posted this, well timed. Just got the Lee Valley zero clearance insert fitted last night and I'm gonna cut the slot today. A little daunting.

I'll bet you've got a little PTSD from witnessing that in shop!

Blog Entries
    That's terrific that you came out with just a nick!

I have the 5 hp industrial Unisaw which is a great saw. I also go to length to be safe utilizing my blade guard, push sticks, Jessem stock guides, featherboards (the magswitch one is very good), Micro-Jig Grr-rippers, and such. Yet the thing is it is still easy to get distracted when doing a lot of repetitive cuts. While there are a lot of risks in doing woodworking, this is a terrific invention to reduce one of those risks. Hopefully, in years to come this technology will be commonplace.

12. Quote Originally Posted by Scott Clausen View Post
    I have an employee that ran up a $70K bill and lost 3 months of work losing the ends of three fingers in a home woodworking accident.
    Yep my hip replacement was $38,000 healthcare is expensive. Hence I own a Sawstop ICS 5hp. Plus what price do you put on avoiding the emotional damage of gruesome injury.

Thank you for the report! Nice to know it worked. Very happy with my PCS, too!

When I see posts like this I immediately show them to my wife. Makes me look smart for spending the money on a 3hp PCS with the 52” fence. She also understands the insurance deductibles, etc., but missing digits are a very powerful reason to go with Saw Stop.