Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: A simple toolbox and a Drill Brace test

Blog Entries
    Who is your photographer? I thank them as well.
    My guess is his helper with the photography might be the same one that helps me, a Mr. Tri Pod and the ever so handy Shutter Delay Timer.

Though Axel's camera does appear to be more capable of clear pictures than mine.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Wilson View Post
    Axel, I find myself looking forward more and more each day to your posts. Thank you for the obvious effort you put into sharing them. Who is your photographer? I thank them as well.
    Thomas, Many Thanks, that means a lot to me to read so positive words. I read SMC for years and have pushed back for years to publish anything here. For one, you people are so over skilled it is scary and publishing in English always requires an extra effort for me because of the necessary jargon.

I trimmed down a lot of the technical verbiage from the French version and put less pictures here as well, as everybody knows the deal already.
    And to answer your question Jim is right, I am relying on a 10 seconds delay and a trusty tripod!

Many thanks again for the kind words

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    My guess is his helper with the photography might be the same one that helps me, a Mr. Tri Pod and the ever so handy Shutter Delay Timer.

Though Axel's camera does appear to be more capable of clear pictures than mine.

jtk
    Jim, you nailed it.
    But as a hard-core fanatic of classic photographers, I rely more on the lenses than the camera itself.
    I only enjoy fast lenses, an incredible value 135mm f2 and a super cheap 50mm f1.4 being my workhorses.

Scott, thank you for your help and the really kind words as well. I hear you...and agree to the theory:

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Winners View Post
    (...)Because the knicker cut only needs to be as deep as the plane shaving is thick, only the more or less tip of the knicker needs to be "sharp". (...)

But…as a matter of fact, I am pretty damn sure the Stanley spur goes way deeper than the thickness of a chip. And is way too thick itself.

On a normal wooden one, like this dovetail tool for example, at least I can play with the depth and the shape, being like a double bevel marking knife is super efficient.

I really don’t understand how to make this design work and would really like to join the happy crowd of Stanley spurs users!
    Last edited by Axel de Pugey; 09-11-2021 at 4:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Axel de Pugey View Post

On a normal wooden one, like this dovetail tool for example, at least I can play with the depth and the shape, being like a double bevel marking knife is super efficient.

I really don’t understand how to make this design work and would really like to join the happy crowd of Stanley spurs users!
    I imagine someone with a lot more knowledge than me, like Jim Koepke or Derek Cohen or dang it I am drawing a blank. Honestly just about everyone here with a rabbet plane has more experience than I do, and turns out nicer stuff. Who was the guy that built a hall table last winter, black legs, black top, but he had waterfalled a sycamore plank around for the aprons and put drawers in it. It was absolutely stunning, I wanted that table then, still want it.

Anyroad, I have been all the help I can be. On my Record 778 there are three spurs I can select to be pointing down into the cut. I suppose I could shorten one of them a little and the other a lot and then match what cutting spur I was using to the depth of shaving I wanted to take. It sounds like a lot of work for joinery is not going to show on any piece in my forseeable future.

EDIT: Found the guy, Edwin Santos. His dog bowl holder would be a lifetime masterpiece for me.

My main point is you could cut up an aluminum beverage can to make a spur from, and a nasty sharp spur it would be, but it would also crumple easily.
    Last edited by Scott Winners; 09-11-2021 at 5:56 PM.

Blog Entries
    On my #45 that is used with its spurs, one of the spurs on the cloverleaf has been worked down to where it is only a little deeper than the shavings it is cutting.

Sometimes it is just easier to knife the sides of the work without having to go through setting the knickers before using.

The early #55 and the #39 dado planes have adjustable spurs.

jtk
    Last edited by Jim Koepke; 09-11-2021 at 5:56 PM.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."

Well, thank you both for sharing your thoughts.
    I must say I am a bit disapointed there is no magic trick. I might play a bit with reducing the thickness first. Thank you for your imput.

That is completely off topic, but today I answered a classified and I came back with 28 woodies for EUR 60.
    There are several really interesting pieces...I am quite happy.

IMG_0021.jpg

That is completely off topic, but today I answered a classified and I came back with 28 woodies for EUR 60.

IMG_0021.jpg

Quite the score!!

Back to the joints

Dovetails are transferred and cut

For the transfer I must confess, I was never lucky with the #140 trick, I believe popularised by Rob Cosman.
    I have much more success with the stroke of genius by our prominent Derek Cohen. Many thanks Sir for this contribution to mankind; this tape trick has definitely been a game changer for me once I came across your article few years ago!

In this Canada vs Australia game, Derek Cohen genius 1 EUR method wins hands down

Tails and pins before refinement

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Selzer View Post
    Quite the score!!

Thank you Ron, I have been lucky.
    All the tools are French but one, the very large plane on the far right has got an I & H. Sorby iron, that is a lucky find indeed!

Stopped dadoes for the handle supports

Several cross grain strokes (13tpi)

Several chisel strokes

And a trusty router to finish the job

As I was over cautious for the first dado, I need to widen it by a hair

The rest of the dadoes went ok

Blog Entries

IMG_0021.jpg
    Nice find, the plane under the red handled countersink tool looks like half of a rule joint plane pair. The fourth one to its left looks like it could be the other half of the pair.

jtk

Well spotted the rule joint tool Jim!
    Unfortunately it is the picture angle giving this impression, the plane on the left is only a simple moulding (I need to check the name in English).
    My life cannot be that easy, it will take me years to find the match ;-).
    Until then, I will test if I can make the other side of the joint with a hollow tool.

Mini walnut panels

I am using narrow left over walnut pieces for the handle supports, so I glue them together

A quick smoothing

Handle supports

As I certainly do not need to have clinical accuracy in my curves, rather than building a half template, I borrow a dish part in the kitchen

As my bow saw has too wide of a blade for this curve I have to do relief cuts

(Note, I have built the frame saw in the background at school when I was 12 years old, with it's Peugeot blade, it is still handy!)

Then, on to the spokeshave.
    I do not have the strength for some small blades, so I use a jeweller’s tool to grab them.

I really like the MF #2, but the balance between moving sole placement/depth of cut is not always easy to find and I often end up with a bit of skidding. I still have to tame this one (not even mentioning MF #1)

…that is the reason I had to clean up with a cabinet scraper