Thread: Record 778

Record 778

I have a Record 778 that I received as a pay it forward. Unfortunately it got damaged I. Shipping to me - the front overhang broke off. Clean break. Certainly usable with the blade in the rear position but I think it’s deserving of being fixed. Can I just epoxy it or is there a better solution. If it’s more complex I’m happy to pay it forward.I will add in a photo later.

Blog Entries
    JB Weld has worked for me on a couple of broken planes. Clean the surfaces well with a degreaser like acetone or denatured alcohol. (rubbing alcohol often has lanolin, an oil, included)

Another bit to make the #778 more comfortable to use would be to add a knob on the front blade mount:

Front Knob on #778.jpg

Mine has never been used in the bull nose configuration.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Pay the shipping and I will send you a new body.

That’s sounds like a solution. I will PM now.

Doug,

I do not doubt Jim solution is good, but in case you are not able to choose it: the front of the plane has a recess for the thumb, but if you hold it another way there is no pressure involved on this part. A year ago I broke the front of the skate of my #50 and glued it back with some epoxy specifically sold for metal, it holds really well since then, you could try this cheap solution.