Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Roubo on the move

Roubo on the move

Hi everyone, looking to make some layout adjustments to my workshop which requires moving my workbench. Any good ideas on how to best tackle moving a roubo?

Perhaps a couple Mover's Dollies from Harbor Freight? Maybe a bit of plywood to cover the top of them.....Bottle jack and a beam to lift one end of the bench, slide the dollie under those legs. Repeat for the other end...bench will now roll wherever you want it to go.....take the beam and the jack along, to remove the two dollies..
    A Planer? I'm the Planer, and this is what I use

I done the same and made up some dollies, with some scrap ply and casters, and then added some hinges, and some other stuff after that.
    Simplifying the whole thing without all the steel and so on,
    All is needed is a flat bar to slip between the paddles and the strechers, if you have them at a suitable height. (sorry, one for each paddle)
    It does catch onto stuff, but is also a shelf, individual paddles would be better, I didn't have the steel to do that.
    SAM_4057.jpgSAM_4061.jpg
    The levers are inspired from Carl Holmgren's designs on the tube, who might be worth having a look into also.
    https://youtu.be/5IaGUw4KdaE
    Last edited by Tom Trees; 09-06-2021 at 7:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by steven c newman View Post
    Perhaps a couple Mover's Dollies from Harbor Freight? Maybe a bit of plywood to cover the top of them.....Bottle jack and a beam to lift one end of the bench, slide the dollie under those legs. Repeat for the other end...bench will now roll wherever you want it to go.....take the beam and the jack along, to remove the two dollies..
    Not sure if I can get a bottle jack under the short side stretchers, don't think I have the clearance. Perhaps a low profile floor jack could do it but I don't want to buy a tool for a one time job...

Pallet jack, most useful thing in the shop!

I meant to lift using the 4x4 beam between the bottle jack and the top of the bench....Depends on how much the top sticks out beyond the stretchers...
    A Planer? I'm the Planer, and this is what I use

Clamp a batton to the underside, so as not to make 5hite of the strechers, and use a fulcrum?

Not to come across as snarky, but maybe just get 2-3 folks to help pick it up and move it?
    Split four ways, bench shouldn't be to heavy to deadlift and move.

If you are in the Austin, TX area. I work for beer.

Local tom cat I presume paid a visit last night while I was in for a mug a tae, and left quite a stench when I came back in.

Relieved the cat had only peeed on the floor under the bench, beside my spray bottle of water for sharpening,
    whether that gave him the call of nature I don't know, but very glad he didn't pee on all the wolfies blankies!
    Cheeky bugger, having a laugh around the place with two big dogs about!

SAM_4776.jpg

A simple strategy I use is simply a 2x6 with two large fixed casters. It will depend on how high your stretchers are.

workbench dolly 2.jpgworkbench dolly 1.jpg

Make the height from the bottom of the wheel to the top of the 2x6 a little bit higher than the distance between the rail and the floor.

You can use a large lever to flip this rig up, but it is stable since the distance the the edge of the 2 x 6 to the bottom of the wheel is greater. (maybe I'll try to draw a picture once I get a chance)

With the bench balanced on the two wheels, you can move it like a cart.

John

Here are some diagrams that might clarify what I mean

Workbench wheel diagram 1.jpgWorkbench wheel diagram 2.jpg

For things a lot heavier than that, I'll just use a handy fulcrum, and lever. The lever might be a 2x4, and the fulcrum a 4x6 block. Those can vary depending on what is at hand.

I do keep four of the small HF moving dollies, with the hole in the middle filled with scrap plywood.

Bora Workbench Casters work well. I attached a set to 2x6’s and clamped them to the bench rather than attaching permanently. I posted about it on this forum.https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread....ble&highlight=

If your car has a scissor jack in the trunk you could use that to raise the bench.

What's the floor like? My basement floor is painted so all I need to do is get a towel under each pair of legs and I can slide it around without too much difficulty. Would also work on a wood floor, tile floor, etc.