Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Milwaukee Oscillating Multi Tool?

Milwaukee Oscillating Multi Tool?

Guys with my home projects growing to prepare for the sale of our house, my mind is telling me I need this tool. I am already set up for Milwaukee M18 which is one of the reason for going with this tool. Watching several You tubes on what it will do, I am wondering if what I see on TV is true or not. Besides wood I need to cut some ceramic floor tile, steel, little concrete to make repairs to my slab to prep for vinyl planks, so no telling what else. I am guessing there is a ton of blades to choose from which just like a table saw blade the right blade makes a big difference. So my question is, is this tool worth spending money on and which blades to buy. I figure that the blades that comes with tool maybe is not that good, so is there a brand name of blades?
    Oh I also see that it will also sand up into corners which is a plus. Where is best place on net to purchase will budget shopper in mind?
    HD-219.00 Tool only
    Amazon- 109.00 Tool only
    Last edited by Carroll Courtney; 09-06-2021 at 3:21 PM.

I’d use an angle grinder for most of that. Multi tool has place, but it’s a small one.

No, an oscillator saw is not as good as they claim. A milwaukee is near the bottom of the prefered tool list, and the blades needed to perform the various tasks will be surprisingly expensive.

That all being said, they are useful and you will not regret having one. Sounds like you need a grinder instead of an oscillator though.

I am on both M12/M18 platforms. The Fuel models are the best, in my opinion with their Quick Release. I just have both M12 models and like the new one for the quick release. The vibration and power is better in the new modesl. I keep a common wood blade in my older one for work. Blade selection is based on what you are doing, plaster, drywall I can use my worn out wood blades or cheap blades. I like the Bosch the best, followed by Fein. I do not have much time using the newer Milwaukee blades, but so far are holding up really well. The metal cutting blades are great, but wear really quick. I use a angle grinder or sawsall if I can get to the nail. Good luck. Dan

M18 Fuel-only way to go... that said, I'm Milwaukee through and through but the multi-tool was too expensive.
    https://www.homedepot.com/p/Milwauke...6-20/314292748
    Couldn't see it.. not for the bare tool.
    Wound up with this: https://www.lowes.com/pd/SKIL-Pwrcor...Kit/1003166082
    Totally complete with everything. Had done my detective work and it had good reviews so I went that route. Works great 👌

Blog Entries
    I've used my Bosch multi tool for a variety of jobs.
    I've cut nails to removed boards during remodeling with the carbide tipped blades
    I shortened metal top hat duct work on my HVAC system in tight spaces.
    I made plunge cuts to install door jamb light switches for closet lights.
    I trimmed door trim for installing tile without removing the trim.
    I scraped adhesive residue from the wood flooring when removing vinyl tile.
    I removed putty around windows before recaulking.

What didn't work well:
    was removing sanded grout with the tile cutter blades.
    cutting large nails takes its toll on the carbide blades.
    Hitting a nail with wood cutting blades ruins them and carbide blades tend to create smoke when cutting wood.

With all the above, there is a purpose for the multi tools and it does a job most others can't handle. I don't think it would work well for cutting ceramic tile.

I can't speak for the quality of Milwaukee tools as I only own a Milwaukee hammer drill, which has performed well with my minimal use. The Bosch multi tool has quite a few hours on it and it is still going strong.
    Last edited by Lee Schierer; 09-06-2021 at 9:23 PM.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

I bought a "multi-tool" for a specific job and it did well for that. I've used it for a few other things when it seemed like the right tool for the job. They do some things well for sure, especially when there is access/close quarters involved. But I'd choose a bigger, more powerful tool over it when that tool can "fit", from a physical standpoint. In other words, I'm glad I own one, but it's not my "go to" most of the time.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I use Milwaukee battery tools exclusively. The multi-tool is one that I use frequently, mostly because I have a CNC router and use the tool to cut tabs on almost every job. Other than CNC work I use the multi-tool about as frequent as everyone else, they can be a life saver in certain situations and spend lots of time on the shelf as well.

The reason I dislike the Milwaukee ossilator is the design of the tool. It's battery is on an angle so the tool won't stand up, the switch is really poorly designed compared to most others, and blade changing is primitive. Dewalt and makita make far better cordless ossilators.

I bought a fein corded one about 5 years ago. And have used it 2 times. Still glad I have it though, the 2 times saved me alot of work. I haven't ended up doing alot of house projects yet. The house was in good living condition when i moved in. I did however (knowing I didnt use the corded one barely at all) buy the milwaukee corded 12volt. My work situation moved me from being 50/50 field /office to 100% office. This also had me trading in my truck and taking over my fathers Yukon. I still wanted tools though so I limited myself to one tool bag. I bought a milwaukee 12 volt impactor and multi tool to go with my small hand tools(handyman bag)

Multi tool is a master at cutting wood/sheetrock/ and a couple other things in place everything else it isn't the best tool.

Same as George. I thought I had to have one, but have only used it a few times. A sawzall is better for cutting many things. And the little Dremel saw (like a small circular saw) better for cutting long straight lines. But I still can't seem to part with the multi-tool.
    < insert spurious quote here >

Thanks for all replies, it is on the expensive side maybe due to supply. Think going pass on this for now, find another way take care some of my projects. Yea I was thinking that size would help get in those small places and cut out door trim for tile to slide under.

I look at my Fein MT as the tool I can’t afford to use. This based solely upon the cost of blades. When you need it, and it is the best option, it comes out. I looked at reviews of the Milwaukee MT and they steered me clear of the buy. I, too, am on the M12 & M18 trolley and very happy with those tools I do have. One of my go to’s is the M12 Sawz-all. You might find that could fill in for some of your proposed. MT jobs.
    My friend, about the best GC I’ve run acrossed, has come to a point where as he says, he hates buying tools. i pull out my fancy and expensive Fein and he pulls out his $30+/- Harbor Freight model which has worked really well for him. Save on the tool so you can afford the blades.
    Last edited by Jack Frederick; 09-07-2021 at 11:29 AM.

not a believer in the cheap stuff. I had to do one modification to a job on site and knew it was a one time cut so tried a princess auto electric die grinder, new it had issues, changed it for another and both were the same, In the shop there are air die grinders. It went against my never buy a cheap tool but thought it is one time and that is it. Got the job done but I still have to look at it when I walk past sitting with all the die grinders that work well.

I have a Fein that has sat unused for years. I view it as a space occupying lesion.

There is a small number of tasks it is good for, but that's it.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.