Thread: So who has a tried and true dill pickle recipe?

So who has a tried and true dill pickle recipe?

I'm looking for a tried and true dill pickle recipe that is easy to do. I'm not a fan of pressure cooking type canning. Just looking for something simple enough that I can follow and do and yields good and crispy dill pickles.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Peacock View Post
    I'm looking for a tried and true dill pickle recipe that is easy to do. I'm not a fan of pressure cooking type canning. Just looking for something simple enough that I can follow and do and yields good and crispy dill pickles.

The Ball Canning book, or local Extension Office would be my starting point.

I gave up on canning pickles. They never stayed crispy
    I only do refrigerator pickles now. Keeps me and the kids good during the summer months.
    Let me know and I can find the recipe.

Have you looked into fermenting? I've made some really nice half-sours using fermenting...It's easy to do and worth trying. Adding a piece of horseradish leaf to each jar helps crisp them up nicely.

My BIL has a recipe to use the pickle spices packet as a rub for roast chicken. Just rub it on before cooking.
    Bill D

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Peacock View Post

For crisp dills,you will need calcium chloride. Mount Olive Pickles has a 15 minute You tube video of their plant, and processing pickles. I know Kosher dills aren't brined. They are fresh packed, which means cukes go into jars along with juice and spices.