Thread: How to build a laminated top bench

How to build a laminated top bench

Stew Denton has a post in the Neanderthal section about laminating a work bench top. I have read several comments over the years and this type of project seems to be a project that a lot dream about but it can be a little intimidating to a lot of woodworkers, so it doesn't happen. Lets not go to busy schedules. Every one finds time to do what they really want to do.

This is going to take several posts so hopefully you will stay tuned. This is actually be general guide lines about how to build most everything.

A little about myself so you can understand where I am coming from. I am a retired Tool and Die Maker that still does some part time work in a tool room. I served a 4 year apprenticeship. I was taught by literally hundreds of people over the course of time. It took a 4 year apprenticeship and another 4 years of working on my own to get proficient. The learning never stops even after 59 years.

I have been trained to do nothing but build and I would like to pass some information on.

Selecting the type of material and considering to cost.

I have come to the conclusion that when a person considers building the first thing that come to mind is the top has to be made out of hard Maple and out of 8/4ths material. Most European benches are made from Beach because it is a common wood there. Or 2 by construction material

Hard maple is a closed grain wood so sawdust and water or things of that nature will set on top. Other choices are Douglas fir, Southern Yellow Pine and anything you wish to build it out of, your choice. My choice is Ash. Hard maple has bounces back and Ash absorbs a blow. Baseball bats are made of ash in the majors. The force of the ball hitting the ball is not felt by the players hands. Maple he would feel the force. If you are chopping mortices all day, you will get done faster and your hands will like Ash better.
    Did I mention the Ash Bore Beatle killing Ash trees. Most of it around here is going to fire wood or being burned in the land fill.

I had some trouble finding a price list on different woods and this came from Goff @Goff Timber in PA Web page.

Ash is $4.00 a BF for 4/4ths material. 8/4ths is $500 a BF. Both are rough cut and you can add $.30 a BF for S2S.Straight line ripping. I didn't see but where it is available, around here is $.10 a linear foot per board.

Hard maple is $5. and $5.75 . The cost of S2S is the same per foot. Prices very in different areas and different mills.

There is 63.984 board feet in a 4inch thick top 34 inches wide and 8 foot long. Yes I know people have different ideas about thickness widths and I will explain why reason for the 8 foot long later. You will have to include about 20 % more for scrap.

You can do the math on each scenario and you will find a big difference in gluing up 4/4ths material and 8/4ths material and the only difference is 8 glue lines.

By the time it is over the difference between 4/4 ash and 8/4ths maple is the price of a bench top planner.

Do you want me to continue?
    Tom

Hi Tom,
    I’m looking forward to reading this. Thanks for taking the time to share your experiences

Please do continue. This looks to be an interesting read. Thank you for taking the time to write and share.

Count me in. Will you be able to share photos from time to time?

I am all about photos. A picture is worth a thousand words.

I am writing this for the beginners as well as seasoned hobbyists. Every time you go to a big box or even a hardware store buy one clamp. It can be a spring clamp, squeeze clamp, f style clamp but buy a clamp. It is said one neve has enough clamps. One thing for sure is one can't do a laminated bench top without clamps. I prefer Bessy clamps to Erwin Clamps which are found pretty much in the big box stores today so so the internet is a better place to buy $50 style clamps.

I just prefer Bessy clamps and it is just a personal choice Some of the clamp manufactures got bought out and I think quality dropped for a cheaper price. Again personal opinion nothing more.
    Tom

I don’t have much experience with various parallel clamps, but do like the Bessey’s as well. I tend to build smaller size pieces, so have a good assortment of 24-50” clamps. For the occasional larger piece, I have the Bessey extenders. Much less cost to combine a couple shorter clamps than purchase longer ones and I find the extenders work very well.

I’m also excyto see you series. Fully agree about finding the time and about clamps. I like the Jorgensen parallel clamps and regret not buying more before they off-shored.
    "You can observe a lot just by watching."
    --Yogi Berra

Yeah, Tom, please continue. I have a pile of maple for my bench, the BC Classic Leg Vise, 52 1/2 Record and BC Planing stop. Material is going to finish out at 3”. Length 80 or a bit above. Width? Yes, it will have width. What do you think? Split top. Small split to get clamps in and a couple sliding tool trays off the back is about where I’m at now. Malcolm inlayed the sliding track on his bench and I’m thinking that might be useful for the tool trays. I have all the books on benches, but very much look forward to what you are going to do. Oh, and i can be influenced. Some time back i said i was going to[ build the base out of metal and I can knock that together in record time. You said you would never do[ that because it wouldn’t look right. I have a bunch of 8/4 wh oak. Hmmm. Other than the choice of the material your timing is excellent as this broken hand is setting me back at least a month, so, lead on!

When I say, Every time you go to a big box or even a hardware store buy one clamp. It can be a spring clamp, squeeze clamp, f style clamp but buy a clamp. this is what I mean, one of these. The 12 inch green f style is from Menards and cost about $11 now, was $9 with their 11% rebate when I bought them.

DSC01093.JPG

The next 4 pictures are of a split top modified Roubo. The reason I am posting is what you see is after I ran both pieces of the top through my planner once on each side. I didn't take more than 1/64th off from any one side and both match in height. I did no hand planning what so ever on the bench tops. The shavings are rom the middle section that floats. I ran out of material and had to make do. If it would have ben 4 inches thick instead of 1 1/2 I would have passed it through the saw to get it just below the
    surface.

DSC01085.JPG DSC01086.JPG DSC01087.JPGDSC01088.JPG

And for Jack, a couple of pictures from my main work bench. It is also a split top with a tool tray in the middle.

DSC01099.JPG DSC01100.JPG
    Tom

Thanks, Tom. my question on the tool tray for the split top is on preference of the two shown. I’m thinking my two planks will net at about 12” each. With a narrow slot for chisels and sectioned removal large enough for a Bessey clamp and possibly the tool trays off the back in T-track. Do you see your current bench with the larger tool tray centered as preferable?

Great read Tom, I'm in for the duration. Just a minor correction, 80% of MLB bats are now made of maple. I believe that contributes to why there are so many broken bats nowadays along with thinner handles.

really on the bats
    Tom