Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Are the newer style fein turbos still quality tools?

Are the newer style fein turbos still quality tools?

Anybody have any issues with the newer, non r2d2 fein turbo vacs?
    I really like that they have the highest cfms and are the quietest vacs around.

The Amazon reviews mention bad switches. One person even said their motor blew. I’m wondering if anybody around here has had either of these happen.

I’m also wondering the same questions for the festool ct15
    Last edited by Jason Evans; 09-05-2021 at 4:50 PM.

I bought a new Fein Turbo 1 last November. No issues with it, works perfectly and much quieter than the Rigid shop vac it replaced.

I purchased the Turbo II a couple of years ago and it works well other than the unit will come on by itself. When I use my Festool auto sander, it will come on. Sometimes just opening the door to my shop will make it turn on.

Can’t speak on the Fein, but I have recently been using the Karcher WD5 and it has been excellent. I gave the kids my Ridgid. It worked fine but large and noisy.

I've had my new Fein Turbo II for about a year now. It replaced my many years old r2d2 style Fein and has worked just as well in all respects. I use it with a Clear Vue CV06 Mini cyclone, just as I did the original, and the combination has been terrific.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Cowan View Post
    I purchased the Turbo II a couple of years ago and it works well other than the unit will come on by itself. When I use my Festool auto sander, it will come on. Sometimes just opening the door to my shop will make it turn on.
    I have kind of the opposite problem with my older Fein Turbo II. It doesn't come on until I expect it to but if there is any electrical draw it will not turn off. The power supply on a SCMS laser is enough to not let it turn off, even if the laser itself is turned off. If I manually turn the vac off then back to auto it will not restart but will not turn off once running. If I connect it to a tool like a sander with no draw when turned off, it turns off as expected.

I have used a Fein Turbo I for several years with a Oneida mini cyclone mounted on top. Never has given me any problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Evans View Post
    I really like that they have the highest cfms and are the quietest vacs around.

I’m also wondering the same questions for the festool ct15
    Out in the real world the Fein isn't any of those things :

https://www.toolboxbuzz.com/head-to-...-head-to-head/

The CT15 is a pretty good vac, but isn't really a good value. It's for those that want a festool, but don't want to (or can't)pay festool prices. FT, not being dummies have devised a way to even entice those people. Strip down the features to the bare necessities and lower the price while stlll maintaining (or even improving) margin; all while not giving yourself a balck eye.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Shimp View Post
    I bought a new Fein Turbo 1 last November. No issues with it, works perfectly and much quieter than the Rigid shop vac it replaced.
    Thanks Eric, good to hear.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Sabo View Post
    Out in the real world the Fein isn't any of those things :

https://www.toolboxbuzz.com/head-to-...-head-to-head/

The CT15 is a pretty good vac, but isn't really a good value. It's for those that want a festool, but don't want to (or can't)pay festool prices. FT, not being dummies have devised a way to even entice those people. Strip down the features to the bare necessities and lower the price while stlll maintaining (or even improving) margin; all while not giving yourself a balck eye.
    Thanks Dave. I saw that video, but I don't have a lot of trust in YouTube videos anymore, since it has become so monetized. I feel like these guys could have been paid to post these results. Maybe I'm wrong, but I feel better asking on forums.

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Harms View Post
    I have kind of the opposite problem with my older Fein Turbo II. It doesn't come on until I expect it to but if there is any electrical draw it will not turn off. The power supply on a SCMS laser is enough to not let it turn off, even if the laser itself is turned off. If I manually turn the vac off then back to auto it will not restart but will not turn off once running. If I connect it to a tool like a sander with no draw when turned off, it turns off as expected.
    Good to know, thanks Curt.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Cowan View Post
    Strange, that kind of sucks, would be kind of dumb if it came on in the middle of the night for some reason and just sat there running, possibly overheating from running for hours or something.

I appreciate the info, everyone. I just ordered one and will see how it goes. I almost got the ct-15, but I use a simple outlet remote switch and I read that the ct-15 will not work with one since it has a magnetic switch. The Festool would have been cheaper since it comes with a hepa filter already and I had to buy one separate for the fein.

My first turbo II lasted 13 years, liked it so much, bought another one. Its going on about 8 years now. Can't speak to the new ones. Randy
    Randy Cox
    Lt Colonel, USAF (ret.)

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Evans View Post
    Thanks Dave. I saw that video, but I don't have a lot of trust in YouTube videos anymore, since it has become so monetized. I feel like these guys could have been paid to post these results. Maybe I'm wrong, but I feel better asking on forums.
    I think you are wrong - Rob R is a general contractor of fairly good size and reputation. The YT stick is just a companion to his and his crew’s testing of gear. He does get some of the tools he reviews gratis , but in this case they purchased the vacs. It’s not a fluff piece on a single tool , nor is he known to be a Hilti fan boy.

The article I linked includes all the supporting data of their science project testing that lead to the conclusions. I think you can rely that it’s an unvarnished appraisal of those vacs. Even the opinions on ease of use, ergonomics , feel, ect…. are provided by tradesmen who work and use the tools everyday to earn a living. They’re not a bunch of influencers trying to gain a quick subscriber base.
    Last edited by Dave Sabo; 09-09-2021 at 10:10 AM.

I just reread the testing of the dust extractors and am impressed. This was the best testing I have seen and an well done test setup. I do not know where you will find a better side by side review.

I watched the video. It does seem very thorough. I just have a hard time believing that the fein vacs have such high decibel ratings, 83.5 and 92, when the common consensus by pretty much everyone who comments on its volume says they are much quieter than the rest. I have read a lot saying they are The quietest. This is as loud as my ridgid and my dying shop vac, Also such low cfms, their testing claims around half what fein claims, how can they be so low, when again most people say they are great?

I do like makita and I’m sure their vac is great, but they don’t make that version anymore, which makes me think they are still working out the bugs, and it could crap out in a couple years or it could be hard to get filters or bags in a couple years if they stop making the current one. Also, it is large. I like they small fein, since I use a cyclone.

No way im paying $1K for a hilti. I’ve read about circuit board issues with the festools.

Ok, I was wrong. I take back my doubts in the toolbox buzz review. I did want to believe them when I first saw the video, as they seemed pretty thorough, but I'm jaded with YouTube and how so many reviews just seem like commercials.

The fein showed up today. I took it out of the box and tested the sound, with two different phone apps. They both registered between 80 and 90 decibels, higher of course when I put my hand over the end and the motor strained, it even got into the low 90's then. It seemed to average out with no resistance right around what they said, at 82. This was from about 6-8 feet away, in my shop with lots of hard surfaces. I'm a bit surprised and upset with fein for advertising 66 decibels when it is really closer to 82, this is a pretty big difference. It does have a bit of a lower sound than my ridgid vac, but that sucker is super loud, could just be the pitch is different.

I think I'm going to return it and try something else. Maybe the Festool, or the Makita.

My shopvac is in a sound reducing box I made for it years ago, the box works great, but I designed to fit a cheap shopvac I bought on sale for like $40. I have gone through two of the same models, about 2 years a piece. Maybe the box holding in the heat killed them, but in the reviews for them people say they burn out on them too, so maybe it's not the box. I don't want to go through another one, it feels wasteful and no other vac will fit in the box unfortunately