Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Plumbing fixtures?

Plumbing fixtures?

We have decided it's time to retile a shower in our basement. Any recommendations on valves and shower heads? We are thinking rain shower and handheld.

I'm sure the quality has changed since I remodeled this shower over 20 years ago. It has a Price-Pfister valve in it now but I suspect it would be wise to change it. This shower is the heaviest used shower in our home by both guests and the two of us.

Thanks in advance for your advice!
    Last edited by Ken Fitzgerald; 09-05-2021 at 4:40 PM.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Blog Entries
    It has a Price-Pfister valve in it now but I suspect it would be wise to change it.
    What is the old saying, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it."

If the inards can be accessed for part replacement my choice would be to stay with the dependable valve.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

If you're opening up the wall anyway, I'd update the valve. The last one I installed was a Kohler, and I'm sticking with that when I do the next one. They have cartridges that are replaceble easily. Others do to, these days, but I liked this one a lot. I did buy a spare cartridge to keep in that bathroom drawer.

Good idea to put the handheld in now.
    < insert spurious quote here >

We have Kohler fixtures in both our showers (~ 5 years old) and we're happy with them. Personally, I'm not a fan of the rain shower head - the spray doesn't have enough force to suit me.

I'd suggest adding a couple of grab-bars in each unit - or, at a minimum, put in blocking between the studs to allow them to be added easily later on.

I"m partial to Kohler, myself. And yea, I'd update everything while doing this kind of project. I suggest you consider having the hand-held separately controlled from the showerhead. We had that arrangement in our previous property and it was great. The mixing valve in the wall served the same temperature for both, but each could be turned on and off independently. I hope to duplicate that here in the new place at some point...we are making do with a showerhead solution for the moment and while either can be turned on and off, it's a lot more cumbersome than wall mounted controls..

Honestly, I wouldn't do tile, either...there are modern materials that are easier to clean and maintain with a minimum of seams/penetrations to seal.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

In our personal shower, I built a seat, with a completely separate control valve for a handheld shower. I don't use that one, but my Wife enjoys it.

I don't know what brand handheld she bought, and she doesn't remember either, but we put the same one in the rental house. It has a magnet that holds the handpiece up. We like those, too.

Make sure it’s a “pressure-balancing” valve. They compensate for water pressure (i.e. volume) such that they maintain the water temperature that’s been set even if someone somewhere else in the house flushes a toilet or otherwise runs or uses water. They’re great!

I would put in 2x6 blocking all around at garb bar height for "future proofing" . Also consider garb bars as towel bars for now, outside the stall.
    Bill D
    Last edited by Bill Dufour; 09-06-2021 at 2:34 PM.

Blog Entries
    Hans Grohe (not to be confused with Grohe from the Depot). Excellent, High quality stuff that I installed now years ago. Still shines.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Honestly, I wouldn't do tile, either...there are modern materials that are easier to clean and maintain with a minimum of seams/penetrations to seal.
    What are some examples? (I have 2 showers to remodel.)

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Tashiro View Post
    What are some examples? (I have 2 showers to remodel.)
    The choices range from one-piece molded to systems that are sheet based. Some of them remarkably look identical to stone, glass tile, etc., if you want that visual without the piece by piece installation and maintenance. I used a four piece setup for a bathroom renovation in our old property a few years ago and it was surprisingly easy and fast to install, even though I had no previous experience with it.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I think you may want to stick with Price Pfister they do have a life time warranty. Like it was said if it ain't broke why fix it.

The pessimist in me says those $300 Delta/Moen faucets are sold at the BORGs next to the $79.99 "easy replace" cartridges because they intend for you to buy a new one every 3 years and feel good about how much money you saved "doing it yourself"... Given that the cost-per-use ends up being so trivial, I'd take Brian's advice and find a premium brand not sold at home centers...

Jim's suggestion of non-tile materials is also good. At one point, ceramic tile kitchen countertops were considered reasonable, but I bet most people hear that today and say, "Ewww". Well, all the new solid surface materials used in kitchen countertops are also being used in shower enclosures, for the same reasons - no grout joints to dirty, actual waterproofness (grout - like any cementitious product - is water permeable), easy to clean, non-mildewing, etc.

Blog Entries
    Our house was built in 2007. We just had our Moen kitchen faucet repaired and the parts were all guaranteed and free. In addition the service was excellent with next day delivery available ( for a reasonable fee)
    Dennis