Thread: Dust Collector filter maintenance

Dust Collector filter maintenance

I'd like to know opinions about filter maintenance. (Oneida would have an answer, but might be biased towards sales?): On a 3hp Oneida cyclone, the pressure (between the cyclone and filter column) is 0.5 cm H20 when running with the filter is at its cleanest. By the time the chips collection drum is full, the pressure is 1.5 to 2 cm H20. (Manufacturer says not to allow 5 or more).

Their method of cleaning the filter has no apparent effect on the pressure measurement: blowing air at the outside of the filter (when not running). In fairness, I haven't let the system get close to that 5 cm limit, but I assume that would happen eventually. Since I don't even see a little improvement with external compressed air, I've taken to removing the cylinder and its trap, setting it (vertically) on the floor with a flexible shop vac tube suspended inside. Then I blow compressed air tangentially at the INSIDE of the cylinder. Dust is grabbed by the vacuum, (so it doesn't rise into the shop) or it falls to the floor. I ask because some people claim that the filters can be harmed without visible damage.

Is what I'm doing a bad idea, perhaps increasing the levels of the smallest dust? If it is, maybe letting the pressures rise would be wiser (up to 5), but if I get there, is the safe next step to let Oneida sell me another filter?

Blog Entries
    That is exactly how I clean the filters on my Oneida system & have been doing so for about 5 years. The filtering doesn't seem to be affected & I monitor the air in my shop with a particle counter.

I agree that blowing compressed air from the outside does nothing to clean the filter. I don't even know why they suggest the method.

That seems to be standard procedure. Makes my eyes itch to watch:

https://youtu.be/2Luyg9TsdYA?t=99

I use my air compressor but I have heard of guys using a leaf blower.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

I used to clean my Oneida internal filter with a leaf blower. Outside of course....clouds of dust.... I almost think cleaning the filter was more dangerous to my health than the imperfect dust collection the cyclone provided. To eliminate this step (and save some space), I bought a Harvey dust collector. It makes filter maintenance easy and virtually dust free.

Blog Entries
    I stand mine on end and tap it with a 2x2 stick, then take it outside and finish off with a leaf blower.
    NOW you tell me...

Somebody post a but back about this……but I can’t find it.

There is a service you can bring it to and get it professionally restored for pretty cheap. The business caters to another field but it also works for dust collection filters.

Anybody remember what it is?

When I read it I figured I would do that every year or two, but of course I forgot.

Boy that video was depressing. I've got to take out my filter and do that soon. Definitely not looking forward to it.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

Blog Entries
    The beauty of using compressed air with the shop vac hose inside the filter is that there is very little dust the escapes into the wild. It's actually an almost mess free process. It took me several very messy cleaning sessions to figure out the better way though.

I've got a cyclone filter from Wynn Environmental. Nano Fiber. I've always used the air method, but understand they prescribe simply taking it to the car wash. No airborne dust, better cleaning and operates closest to brand-new performance levels after dried.
    Nevermind- now (09-07-21) their maintenance advice is compressed air only. Don't use water. Glad I never got around to trying that and ruining a $250 filter.
    Last edited by Jeff Roltgen; 09-07-2021 at 10:32 AM.

Blog Entries
    Most Oneida filters are rated for wet cleaning, but I've never done it. Next time I will give it a try.

I have a wynn nano filter and have taken it outside and used compressed air to blow through. I leave piles (!!) of dust on the ground. I pick it up move it and do it again. Couldn't believe how much imbedded dust was coming out. Did this about 12-15 times till I got tired of doing it. Small dust piles were still coming out. I use a magnahelic pressure meter to decide when to clean, normally when it registers about 2 in of water pressure. I clean about every 2-3 years. I'm a hobbyist but do use my dust collector frequently. 1.75 hp unit in the center of the shop running 5" ducting and a super dust deputy cyclone. I use thinwall pvc for the long runs to try and reduce friction as I know my hp is marginal for the size of shop I have (three car garage). Its kink of a cobbled together system but it works. Randy
    Randy Cox
    Lt Colonel, USAF (ret.)

Quote Originally Posted by Randall J Cox View Post
    ... Couldn't believe how much imbedded dust was coming out. Did this about 12-15 times till I got tired of doing it. Small dust piles were still coming out. I use a magnahelic pressure meter to decide when to clean, normally when it registers about 2 in of water pressure. I clean about every 2-3 years. I'm a hobbyist but do use my dust collector frequently. 1.75 hp unit in the center of the shop running 5" ducting and a super dust deputy cyclone
    Is a full-sized cyclone much better at keeping the fine dust out of the filter?
    I'm also using a super dust deputy, and have been particularly happy with the separation of planer shavings, which were otherwise stuffing up my filter. I am planning on upgrading my DC, but I was mostly going after CFM and hadn't given separation too much thought over what I have now.

Matt