Thread: Delta 37-380 jointer

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Delta 37-380 jointer

This is a followup post to a post that I made a couple of hours ago regarding a DJ-20. I have a Delta 37-380 jointer that I very recently purchased at a private sale. Upon starting to tune up the machine, I noted that the end of the outfeed table drops off close to 1/4". The overall bed length is 73". I have read several articles about shimming the ways, but nowhere to this degree. I don't know where to begin. I am fairly new to woodworking, but know that there are many experienced voices here on the Creek. Any comments would be appreciated.

Sincerely,

Blog Entries
    If the gib screws are in place I think that much drop is going to be beyond anything that a shim can correct. The gib screws allow a lot of movement if they have been erroneously backed off. Table damage is common on jointers. Either people use them as handles when moving the machine or your extra large neighbor parks his hip on it while drinking beer and telling lies in the shop. Cast iron is tough but leverage will win every time.

Easy enough to confirm. Place a straight edge on the outfeed table. If it is relatively flat then the table is not bent. If the table is bent I would look for another jointer or identical basket-case that you can scrounge parts from. The next weak link when a dovetail way machine is abused are the ways and the structure around them. Look for cracked castings or broken parts. Again, the decision to fix or just move on will depend on you.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Before getting too excited start by seeing if the gib screws are snugged up properly. the dip could easily be because they are to loose.

John if you need help adjusting a dovetail way jointer the best advice I can give you is do not do anything until you have a copy of John White's book "Care and repair of shop machines". This book is an excellent reference with a very good chapter on setting up and adjusting dovetail way jointers. Everything you will need to know as well as how to do it. I have used this book to diagnose and successfully set up an old Delta jointer, including having to shim the ways on one side of my outfeed table. When you know how to do it, it is not nearly as bad of a job as some would have you believe.

Thanks to all who commented. I finally got it ! It took 4 1/2 hrs., but I learned a lot. Mike, thanks for the tip on John Whites book. I have already ordered one for future reference.