Thread: Trotec Firmware Downgrade SOLVED

Trotec Firmware Downgrade SOLVED

Hi Sawmill Creek,

LONG STORY (skip to below for firmware downgrade instructions)
    I thought I would write this article to help people for the future. I have an old Speedy II unit, basically a 2003 Speedy 300, its the same thing but I guess some of the components are older but 95% of the machine is the same. Apparently this 5% of difference extends to firmware and something is different in the motherboard and/or the motors, the CPU boards are the same (verified)(top circuit board for motor) and im pretty sure, but not certain, that the print boards (bottom circuit board for motor) are the same too. Anyways I have been dumb and thought that this machine was a serial only machine for nearly 8 months and have been thinking of upgrading the motherboard to get USB. Well after this work looking at getting a new motherboard, I bought another laser that was suppose to be for parts (it had the new motherboard) and went to transplant and found that the Speedy II unit has USB, but there was no cutout on the back. So easy work for my jigsaw and I opened up a spot on the back for the USB and I feel like an idiot. I was actually pleasantly surprised that the parts unit was in very very good condition, so now I'm refurbishing that. So the whole point of wanting USB was because Trotec said that Job Control 10 was the highest software available to serial only units and that software would no longer be supported for this. So I find the USB, and got a copy of Job Control 11 online at Trotec and upgraded as I was excited for the new features of JC 11. As with every JC update there are firmware updates, I update the firmware on everything and call it a day. Well when going to cut something, the machine was not firing the laser and after about 10 seconds I would get a "firmware x-axis tracking" error. So apparently I'm probably out of luck on JC11 and am happy I didn't pay the $1900 for the updated motherboard as I doubt that would have allowed me to upgrade to JC11 anyways. So new problem, did this firmware update just turn my Speedy II into a very big and heavy paperweight? I will say I wrote in to Trotec on a Saturday about which firmware was proper, but really asking if it was Speedy 300 BL or Speedy 300, I didn't know what the BL was or not but after a little research I found thats a newer motor. Trotec did respond on Monday and say, you can't upgrade the firmware of the Speedy II unit to at least 11.0.4, as there are firmware errors. I have been told by Trotec multiple times that firmware cannot be downgraded once its been upgraded. I have an enormous amount of experience in firmware updates across many many many circuit boards, computers, whatever you name it. I have seen where companies lock firmware downgrades and just assumed when Trotec said that it couldn't be done they were right... long story short they are wrong and their firmware can in fact be downgraded and if anyone else gets in this situation ill explain below how to do it. I thought this would be valuable as I was the equivalent of biting my nails the whole time during downgrade as I had an ok chance of "bricking" each item needing a firmware downgrade, and I can report that I would not sweat to do it on subsequent machines now that I know it worked successfully. Verified full downgrade from 11.0.4 to 10.36.5 on each firmware holding board of a Speedy II, including Rotary. Anyways, I hope it helps someone.

Firmware Downgrade Instructions:
    Prerequisites: The file for the firmware for your machine in the version you want. Your Job Control installer (USB, CD, Download) has the corresponding version in "_Firmware" directory in the root. (its easy for anyone to find) If you need a specific version ask Trotec, if you do not have it.
    1. Open Job Control (Most any version should work)
    2. Connect the Machine to JC
    3. If the firmware doesn't match the machine, it will have a popup, just click no or cancel or whatever that gets out of it.
    4. Click "Settings" at the top, then click "Update Firmware" (this is a separate application, even though it will look like its part of JC)
    5. Under the "Load" part, select your file (mentioned in prerequisites), it MUST match your machine type, but whatever version should be acceptable.
    6. Make sure the machine is connected
    7. Verify that there are no errors and only warnings along the lines of, the current firmware is XX.XX.XX and the proposed firmware is lower XX.XX.XX do you wish to downgrade.
    8. Press "Send", if you are not on a dedicated circuit make sure nobody messes with anything that could disrupt power. MAKE SURE POWER WILL NOT BE DISRUPTED OR YOU WILL HAVE AN EXPENSIVE PROBLEM.
    Last edited by Mike Null; 12-10-2021 at 10:35 AM. Reason: advertising

Thanks for the write-up. I've been scared to death to upgrade mine due to known issues.
    120w Trotec Speedy 400 with rotary and cutting grid table. And now acquiring an endless collection of woodworking tools.

Depending on what model year your 400 is you either have analog or digital servos. I think they transitioned in 2018 to digital. If you have optimotion 360 that’s the digital servos and I do not know nor have I tested upgrading/downgrading those but the analogs like what I have worked fine. I would suspect the digital ones would too but can’t promise it. Keep in mind I was upgrading a 2003 unit though to modern current software and it works great! I can say Ruby is a game changer and if you haven’t upgraded you should. There’s some quirks and I did a brief write up about those but if you need a new laser operator that doesn’t have past experience Ruby makes it pretty easy.

4. Quote Originally Posted by Chase Williams View Post
    Hi Sawmill Creek,

Firmware Downgrade Instructions:
    Prerequisites: The file for the firmware for your machine in the version you want. Your Job Control installer (USB, CD, Download) has the corresponding version in "_Firmware" directory in the root. (its easy for anyone to find) If you need a specific version ask Trotec, if you do not have it.
    1. Open Job Control (Most any version should work)
    2. Connect the Machine to JC
    3. If the firmware doesn't match the machine, it will have a popup, just click no or cancel or whatever that gets out of it.
    4. Click "Settings" at the top, then click "Update Firmware" (this is a separate application, even though it will look like its part of JC)
    5. Under the "Load" part, select your file (mentioned in prerequisites), it MUST match your machine type, but whatever version should be acceptable.
    6. Make sure the machine is connected
    7. Verify that there are no errors and only warnings along the lines of, the current firmware is XX.XX.XX and the proposed firmware is lower XX.XX.XX do you wish to downgrade.
    8. Press "Send", if you are not on a dedicated circuit make sure nobody messes with anything that could disrupt power. MAKE SURE POWER WILL NOT BE DISRUPTED OR YOU WILL HAVE AN EXPENSIVE PROBLEM.

That did not help me out. I might be doing something wrong. Can you help me out?
    I have Trotec II 80W and I live in Finland <- I told you that so you know that I'm not able to visit trotec suplier in our country.
    1. I upgraded my Jobcontrol to 14.4.4 and then it said to upgrade also the Firmware so I chose the one I felt to be right from the list, It was Speedy300-8011_Firmware_11_04_00_01.tuz because there was no Speedy II option and those machines are quite the same. NOW I have a problem. I cannot downgrade or do anything with my laser. Any ideas how I may proceed?

Old Firmware is SP2_8007_Firmware_10_07.tuz but I'm not able to send it back to machine, it only say

Error: Invalid Version in Tuz-File (10.07)
    Warning: Downgrade of Cpu from 11.04.00.01 to 10.07
    Warning: Model numbers of update and device do not match
    Warning: Downgrade of DspX from 11.04.00.00 to 10.07
    Warning: Downgrade of DspY from 11.04.00.00 to 10.07
    Warning: Downgrade of DspZ from 11.04.00.00 to 10.07
    Warning: Downgrade of DspL from 11.04.00.00 to 10.07
    Error: Firmware is deprecated, use current firmware

I have sent this also to Trotec technical support. But this your instruction is very interesting. However it did not work for me or I did something wrong though I followed your instructions as it says above
    I have downgraded JC back to 10.1.0 -> no work
    I have downgraded JC to 7.something that worked only with XP PC -> no work
    I have downgraded JC to 6.something -> no work
    And finally I'm back with JC 10.1.0 and I have tried downgrading without succeed
    Have you any idea how I may proceed to get machine back working?
    I don't want to put it into fishing net weight....

I think you may have chosen the wrong firmware file. It should not be bricked. Are you connected via usb or serial?

6. I'm connected via usb

7. Oh. Did you mean the engraver? It has serial connection and usb in laptop - that way it is ccobbected

Just a note, and not a pleasant one--

I don't have any Trotec anything, but I DO have lots of Gravograph equipment, and both are mfr'd in the same part of the world, which may or may not mean much, BUT-

Some years back I bought my Gravograph IS-400 rotary engraver, which came with a "Discovery" version of GravoStyle7, 'Discovery' meaning it's a bare-bones program that works well for sign engraving but devoid of many nice graphics editing features. But it DID come with new software and firmware for Gravograph laser engravers. While I couldn't get the new firmware to load, I DID try out some of the new basic-program's features, like engraving bottom-up, one-direction engraving, and much higher resolution (up to 3600 line/dots per inch v 1200)--

What happened when I tried to run a job with the new software, the machine went into a combination of doing-nothing or ludicrous-speed X-axis travel set to east-coast coordinates with no coming back- you'd have thought I was taking a jack-hammer to the thing...

Ok, so that didn't work, back to the old program, no problem...

Except-- My little foray into unknown machine-control territory fried something in the controller. To this day it won't accept ANY firmware changes. And the worst part: IF I happen to load an engraving job from Laserstyle, and IF that job has ANY vector path instructions, whether I turn off vector cutting or not, the main driver becomes corrupted, and the machine refuses to work correctly, at times doing the east-coast-jackhammer dance. The ODD thing is, the Laserstyle driver used by Corel works just fine, any jobs sent via Corel work just fine. But if/when I send any vector info to the machine from Laserstyle, then ONLY raster jobs will work via Corel afterwards, and any jobs with vector cutting cause the machine to either jackhammer the right side of the cabinet, or the X-axis will crawl about 1 inch per minute, WITH the laser firing sometimes. The fix is to unload then reload the Gravo driver, then all's well with Corel. SO, to this day I can't use Gravograph software to engrave. A repair to the controller is about a $1300 job, and since it works fine with Corel, I've just avoided sending jobs via Laserstyle. I still USE Laserstyle for some graphics creations & such, but they get changed to DXF files I can use in Corel.

My point, and the not-pleasant part, is that I'm afraid it's entirely possible that the new firmware upload may have compromised something in, or to do with, the controller. All I did was use the new software...
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

I was recently on multiple hour plus long calls with one of the Trotec support people I know is good, we had talked about firmware. He had mentioned that he has recovered boards that he accidental put the wrong firmware on by redoing the process. I am certain there are two different speedy 300 firmwares maybe more. I know one is for the older (including speedy ii) that has analog boards and silver servos and another that I think is listed as BL that is for the newer (2017+ I think) digital servos with black servos.

I’m not at a good point to review the firmwares, however I think it’s 8011 speedy 300. It’s been a minute since I did it but what’s coming to my mind as something wrong is why is the CPU firmware newer than the boards? I don’t think you can change major versions but I think you can downgrade to v11 firmware. Check your ini file and maybe shoot an email to Trotec. I’d attempt modifying the ini file so that it thinks it’s a speedy 300 vs speedy ii. Keep in mind that 0 counts so if a speedy 300 is number 5 on the list you input 4 (because 0 counts)
    Last edited by Chase Williams; 11-20-2022 at 7:22 PM.

11. Chase, I would appreciate any insight you could provide into my current issue. I have a new to me 2015 Speedy 400 (8023) and when updating the firmware it "finished with errors". Since then when starting the machine I only get the laser fans kicking on, no interior lights, no referencing etc. I tried to follow your instructions to downgrade software, but the laser is not recognizing the connection in the "update firmware" screen. Looking around online I found a service manual for the 8001 and on page 67 the instructions read:

In some cases this way of updating the Firmware does not work (e.g. you have used a corrupt file for updating and the manager can not transfer the data a second time)In this case you have to update the Firmware by connecting directly to the CPU board. To do this you need:

A PC link cable (nomodem cable)
    -
    The firmware (here the two files loader.ini and loader.exe are very
    -
    important)
    A set of allen keys metric
    -
    CAUTION: To prevent an electric hazard never touch any part of the boards while
    the machine is powered. Make sure that you do service work on an open machine
    only when is installed to an electric network using an FI breaker o f max. 40mA.
    1.) Open the service access panel (on the left side ot the machine) and the cover of
    the electronic compartment.
    2.) Place the jumper from the position closer to the Main board to the position closer
    to the CPU board and connect one end of the link cable to the 9-pin socket closer
    to the CPU board (if you have a set of first generation boards, otherwise you will
    have only one 9-pin socket on the board)
    3.) Open the loader.ini file, and select the COM port of the computer you are using
    for updating the firmware (commport=0 for COM1 and commport=1 for COM2)
    4.) Make sure that your engraver is switched on.
    5.) Press the reset button on the CPU Board (black push button)
    6.) Start the loader.exe file to begin with the update.
    7.) Wait until you get the message: All files loaded successfully.
    8.) Place back the blue jumper in it´s original position and close the panels again.

I do have a serial connection on my CPU and a red button next to it. I asked Trotec and they mentioned that this was only for older electronics and I would need to purchase both an I/O and CPU. My thoughts are that if the boards are truly dead, then there is no harm in experimenting. I purchased a
    USB to RS232 Adapter with PL2303 Chipset and am wondering if this can be done?

Only things I am unsure about are the following:
    1) Can I use a USB to serial connector or does it need to be something like a null modem? If what I have will work, do I still need to select the COM port?
    2) My INI file is empty and I do not see a loader.exe. I do have a firmware folder with the following file for my machine " Speedy400-8023_Firmware_11_04_04_10.tuz". Would I press the red button and then open that folder?

Thank you for your time,
    Stephen

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Stephen Fuchs; 12-15-2022 at 1:48 PM. Reason: More info and photos

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Fuchs View Post
    Chase, I would appreciate any insight you could provide into my current issue. I have a new to me 2015 Speedy 400 (8023) and when updating the firmware it "finished with errors". Since then when starting the machine I only get the laser fans kicking on, no interior lights, no referencing etc. I tried to follow your instructions to downgrade software, but the laser is not recognizing the connection in the "update firmware" screen. Looking around online I found a service manual for the 8001 and on page 67 the instructions read:

In some cases this way of updating the Firmware does not work (e.g. you have used a corrupt file for updating and the manager can not transfer the data a second time)In this case you have to update the Firmware by connecting directly to the CPU board. To do this you need:

A PC link cable (nomodem cable)
    -
    The firmware (here the two files loader.ini and loader.exe are very
    -
    important)
    A set of allen keys metric
    -
    CAUTION: To prevent an electric hazard never touch any part of the boards while
    the machine is powered. Make sure that you do service work on an open machine
    only when is installed to an electric network using an FI breaker o f max. 40mA.
    1.) Open the service access panel (on the left side ot the machine) and the cover of
    the electronic compartment.
    2.) Place the jumper from the position closer to the Main board to the position closer
    to the CPU board and connect one end of the link cable to the 9-pin socket closer
    to the CPU board (if you have a set of first generation boards, otherwise you will
    have only one 9-pin socket on the board)
    3.) Open the loader.ini file, and select the COM port of the computer you are using
    for updating the firmware (commport=0 for COM1 and commport=1 for COM2)
    4.) Make sure that your engraver is switched on.
    5.) Press the reset button on the CPU Board (black push button)
    6.) Start the loader.exe file to begin with the update.
    7.) Wait until you get the message: All files loaded successfully.
    8.) Place back the blue jumper in it´s original position and close the panels again.

I do have a serial connection on my CPU and a red button next to it. I asked Trotec and they mentioned that this was only for older electronics and I would need to purchase both an I/O and CPU. My thoughts are that if the boards are truly dead, then there is no harm in experimenting. I purchased a
    USB to RS232 Adapter with PL2303 Chipset and am wondering if this can be done?

Only things I am unsure about are the following:
    1) Can I use a USB to serial connector or does it need to be something like a null modem? If what I have will work, do I still need to select the COM port?
    2) My INI file is empty and I do not see a loader.exe. I do have a firmware folder with the following file for my machine " Speedy400-8023_Firmware_11_04_04_10.tuz". Would I press the red button and then open that folder?

I do have photos of the board if that would help (Just need to figure out how to upload)

Thank you for your time,
    Stephen

Yes, but i would call Trotec as there is a limit in job control on how far it can be updated via serial and not USB. I believe it limits out at JC10. Mine was a 2003 that had no cutout for USB on the back of the machine but on the board itself there was in fact usb. I just cut a small spot in the back of the machine for it and it worked great! So definitely check that vs just looking at the back of the machine.

3.) I believe the 2015 Speedy 400 is a speedy 400 NON BL file firmware file, i think 8011. We have a 2012/3 (cant remember) Speedy 400 and it should be the same. I can check it later. The red button cuts power i think only for OSHA and safety reasons, you would definitely not want to press that.

13. Thank you for the quick response. To clarify I do have a USB connection on the CPU next to the "don't touch me" red button. I did inherit the original Job Control CD with 10.5 on it. Trotec only suggested replacement of both the I/O and CPU, so I don't believe there will be further guidance from them. I would be thrilled if the CPU serial port took 10.5 as I could then upgrade via the traditional route on the back of the machine.

Just based on Google it looks like 8023 is correct for my laser and the 8011 is for 300's.