Thread: DJ-20 jointer

DJ-20 jointer

I very recently purchased a DJ-20 jointer. I believe that this machine is about 20 years old. In starting a tune up on the machine, I immediately noted that the end of the out feed table drops off just under 1/4". I have read several articles about shimming the ways, but nothing to this degree. It seems like an extreme amount and I'm not sure where to begin. I'm somewhat new to wood working and know that there are many experienced voices on the Creek. Any comments would be appreciated.

The tables are each supported by 4 adjustable bushings. Once the grub screws securing them are loosened the bushings can be rotated to get the tables aligned with the cutterhead and each other. Some penetrating oil may be needed to loosen up the bushings.

As Kevin said, no ways on that machine, just eccentric bushings. With the long bed, a slight adjustment makes the end of the bed move a lot. Depending on bushing position, you may have to adjust both beds to get them to line up. It's not going to be an easy task. Good chance it's older than 20. I think I bought one 30 years ago. Mine came with a twisted fence from Delta, so check that too. Great machine when it's tuned up!

That much out I would see if it is parallel to the knives or dropped on one side. Sounds like the picked it up by the tables and maybe broke something.
    Take the time to use a pick to really clean the SHCS sockets so an allen wrench goes down all the way. You do not want to strip the heads and have to deal with that. I assume they are metric?
    Bill D
    Last edited by Bill Dufour; 09-05-2021 at 12:11 PM.

The wood whisperer has a very good video on setting up a jointer. I believe the one he uses in the video is a clone of the DJ20.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Jenness View Post
    The tables are each supported by 4 adjustable bushings. Once the grub screws securing them are loosened the bushings can be rotated to get the tables aligned with the cutterhead and each other. Some penetrating oil may be needed to loosen up the bushings.
    Thank you Kevin,

I'm rather embarrassed to say that my machine is a 37-380, not the 37-350 which is the DJ-20. I was looking at both at the time of purchase and missed the DJ-20 by a couple of hours. The 37-380 was significantly less, but as I understand, not the same quality of machine. The DJ-20 was still on my mind when I made the original post.

If this is a gibs machine the gibs may have been removed, lost, broken.
    Bill D

Thanks to all who commented. I finally got it !! It took over 4 1/2 hrs., but I learned a lot. Phil, thanks for the link to the manual. That was the key ! !

John, were you able to align the tables by adjusting the gibs?

Yes. By adjusting the gibs and shimming the ways.