Thread: Conversion of Hammer A3-31 to Shellix Head

Conversion of Hammer A3-31 to Shellix Head

I am currently in the process of converting my 1st generation Hammer A3-31 to a Shellix cutterhead. I am at the point where I need to remove the infeed table in order to remove the old cutterhead assembly from the body. I need some advice on removal of the spring and its pin from the hinge shaft. I believe that Cliff Rohrabacher and Brad Shipton have performed this task. What I need to know is do you need to compress the spring before removing the pin, and what did you have to do to the spring when replacing the pin? I have some fear of knocking the pin out if the spring is under any kind of pressure. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Can't help with advice, but I'm interested in doing the same thing to my 1st gen Hammer. Hope you will take us along for the upgrade.

To Erik Loza: Can you help with the questions on this subject?

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Gottlieb View Post
    To Erik Loza: Can you help with the questions on this subject?
    Mike, unfortunately I don’t anything to add to this conversation. Our techs basically refuse to do retrofits on jointer/planers for the reason that it is so much work. They must use some type of pneumatic or hydraulic jig on the assembly line. I can’t imagine dealing with those springs with just hand tools.

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep