Thread: Stuart Batty collet handle

Stuart Batty collet handle

I recently acquired a like new Stuart Batty collet tool handle. Unfortunately the collets are the older style offered by Woodworkers Emporium - the newer ones are 1/64" smaller diameter to provide greater gripping power and I have a couple on order.

My question is how tight is tight enough? I'll be using Trent Bosch hollowing tools as well as 1/2" and 5/8" bowl and spindle gouges. (I have other handles for a few larger tools.)
    It seems to me that at those diameters the rotational force of a catch, while significant, shouldn't be strong enough to spin the shaft in a well snugged up handle.

Has this been an issue for anyone? Any advice?

Thanks
    RD

I made a couple handles using the Robust collets. I find it doesn't matter how tight I make them, they loosen up just a little in use. Hope yours don't do that. Never had one come loose due to a catch, it seems to just be the low level vibration in normal use.

Thanks Roger. That's something I wouldn't have expected. I'll monitor this while turning.
    RD

I know nothing about the Batty or Robust collets. I make my handle inserts from aluminum, brass, or steel and use two set screws. I have never had a tool loosen.

handle_inserts.jpg inserts_IMG_7933.jpg Handle_adapters_roughing2_IMG_6006.jpg Handle_roughing_IMG_5964.jpg Handle_roughing_using_IMG_5974.jpg

handle_adpater_wood_lathe.jpg handle_adapter_extension.jpg handle_adapters.jpg

JKJ

I have the ER25 and ER32 handles. With the ER25 I just snug it up and it holds just fine. My ER32 on the other hand I have to give it a hard tight twist, but it still seems to loosen on it's own. So far I've only used the ER32 handle with a 3/4" shank Carter & Son NRS so I'm not sure how the other collets are. I'm thrilled to hear that Woodworkers Emporium is selling collets that are 1/64" smaller because that's exactly what I need and have been looking to buy. A quick tip: putting grease or something similar on the collar threads helps the collar tighten up.

Hi John,
    I've never had an issue with set screws either. This is my first collet based handle and now I'm wondering if it will be as convenient as I thought. It LOOKED so easy in the video. I was hoping I could quickly remove a gouge for sharpening without the inconvenience of a long handle at the grinder.

I've made some handles but your milled inserts look great and I do have a mini metal lathe.
    RD

Thanks Pat,

BTW the ER32 collets are reasonably priced at $8.95 and the ER32s are $8.25 plus shipping.
    https://www.woodworkersemporium.com/.../SB-Tools.html
    RD

Turning inserts

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Dooling View Post
    Hi John,
    I've never had an issue with set screws either. This is my first collet based handle and now I'm wondering if it will be as convenient as I thought. It LOOKED so easy in the video. I was hoping I could quickly remove a gouge for sharpening without the inconvenience of a long handle at the grinder.

I've made some handles but your milled inserts look great and I do have a mini metal lathe.
    Are the collets open on the ends so the tool can be sunk deeply into the handle? Some "pro" handles I considered were not and only let you grip a short bit of the end of the tool. This is not attractive to me. For spindle tools I like to sink the shaft into a hole far inside the handle so the amount that sticks out is consistent from tool to tool, even when a tool is shortened by sharpening. Also, since I often turn one-handed, I generally like a smaller amount of tool extended from the handle than some. I also want a small diameter connection to the handle since again, when turning one-handed, I grip the tool right at the end of the handle. A big collet would not interest me for THIS type of turning. Maybe for a large bowl where I often grip the handle with two hands...

The inserts are easy to make. After buying a few commercially made, I decided to make my own. One reason was all those available at the time were made from 1" diameter aluminum stock. I thought this was unreasonable for a smaller tool like a 1/4" spindle gouge, making the end harder to grip and the tool harder to control, especially when turning one-handed. I've made some pretty small especially for 1/4" gouges - this makes the wall thickness for the set screws fairly thin so I make these out of steel so I don't risk stripping the threads out of aluminum.

For those without a metal lathe, these are easily turned from aluminum or brass with standard HSS woodturning tools. I have a demo planned for that for when our club starts meeting in person again. (if using brass, use 360 "free machining" brass. I buy from OnLine Metals: https://www.onlinemetals.com/en/buy/...ruded/pid/1266
    For aluminum, I use this in various sizes: https://www.onlinemetals.com/buy/alu...nish/pid/12897

JKJ

Yes the collets are open and seem to be very well made. I'm hoping that the newer slightly smaller diameter will improve holding on the shaft. I may try roughing up the shafts with coarse sandpaper.

I'll definitely be lifting your design for turned inserts. Thanks for the onlinemetals tip as a supply source and for the link so I can see what alloys you are using.

Richard
    RD

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Dooling View Post
    Yes the collets are open and seem to be very well made. I'm hoping that the newer slightly smaller diameter will improve holding on the shaft. I may try roughing up the shafts with coarse sandpaper.

I'll definitely be lifting your design for turned inserts. Thanks for the onlinemetals tip as a supply source and for the link so I can see what alloys you are using.

Richard
    And BTW, I have NOT forgotten about your scraper. I have the drawing of the profile on my desktop with your name on it. Just haven't gotten to it yet...

JKJ

I have the Robust ER25 and they work great. In fact when removing the tool to sharpen I have to tap the bottom of the handle to loosen the shaft so it will come out. Can't speak to the larger one.

I'm another person with the Robust ER25 collets an am happy with them. I don't have the ER32 version. Just once in a few years of turning have I had a gouge slip in the collet.

Tip - check eBay for inexpensive collets!