Thread: Got to do a Little Rust Hunting

Blog Entries

Got to do a Little Rust Hunting

An item ordered for Candy came in. Candy ordered a cab-machine at a rock shop in Vancouver, WA. A cab-machine is like a bench grinder with eight wheels for polishing cabochons, those oval pieces of stone you see in rings, earrings, necklaces, and other jewelry. We got a call that it had arrived so we drove down to pick it up. On the way home we were going buy a couple of my favorite places to stop to look for rust.

One story had a draw knife without a price. The guy behind the counter had to call the owner who wanted $35. The same price a 10" straight draw knife had on it. I took a slight step back shook and lowered my head saying, “that’s too much.” He passed that on to the boss on the phone. He then asked if $20 was more like it, I okayed that and had him set it aside while the wife and daughter looked. In the meantime they were trying to get an old neon sign without the neon into the back of a car. That turned into an ordeal as the angle iron used to hang it on a wall many years ago extended too much for it all to work. The bolts holding it on were not only rusted together, there was only a short handled crescent wrench. One of the guys in the feed store had a portable 6” bandsaw we used to cut the hanger off and loading in the back of the guys car.
    After all that the guy dropped the $5 on an item my daughter wanted and took a check for the $20.

Not great, not bad.

At the next store I got 10% off on a couple of wooden nosing planes. The nose planes are 1-1/4” & 1-1/2”. The small one needs a new wedge. The current wedge is cut short and the shavings jam. The big on clears the shaving very well. Both cut pretty well on 3/4” stock.

Nose Planes & Draw Knife.jpg

The small one has an Auburn Tools mark. The big one has a Sandusky Tools mark.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Blog Entries
    Between chores today there was a chance to take one of the nosing planes for a test drive:

1-1:2%22 Nosing Plane Trial Piece.jpg

The work piece was a scrap of 2X3 left over from stairway handrails made for the front and back porches.

It actually did pretty well. The blades need a little clean up, tuning and sharpening. The wedges are a touch sticky. Shouldn't be too much work to make it sing a little better.

jtk
    Last edited by Jim Koepke; 09-04-2021 at 11:39 PM.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."

Jim,

Looks like that new toy is a winner. Ya did good!

Stew

Blog Entries
    In an email to another member it occurred to me this nosing plane could make a dowel out of a piece of 2X2.

A piece of scrap was set up and cut:

Dowel by Nose Plane on 2X2.jpg

It turned out okay for the first try. Made a bit longer it would make a good handle for a tool tote.

jtk

Nice finds Jim! Did I miss who made the drawknife?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Manning View Post
    Nice finds Jim! Did I miss who made the drawknife?
    There isn't any maker's mark so the maker is unknown.

jtk

Knee is quiet at the moment...can even walk around without the cane (like Chester, from Gunsmoke?)) and there is a Garage Sale offering TOOLS, this morning.....MIGHT just go out and take a look...
    A Planer? I'm the Planer, and this is what I use

Seemed to walk a bit better without the cane....anyway, spent $3..
    9921 yard sale, right hand.JPG
    Irwin Flush cut saw...push a button..
    9921 yard sale, left hand.JPG
    Left or right handed?

The fellow had almost 50' of tables set out...98% Mechanic's tools.....although, there were 2 power planers by Makita ($30 each) with cases....I turned down a boxed set of Craftsman wood chisels...clear plastic handles were gray trimmings, that he wanted $15...

Then had to take the Boss to the store....as she needed "a few things"...

The saw just MIGHT come in handy?
    A Planer? I'm the Planer, and this is what I use