Thread: Quick Fit clamp or Dust Right to swap hose between machine

Quick Fit clamp or Dust Right to swap hose between machine

I am pruning my ductwork plan and am going to share a hose between planer and router table. Can I swap using the Quick Fit clamps or should I get something more specifically designed for routine swapping like the Rockler Dust Right handle?

If you're switching a "whole bunch" I think my choice would be a magnetic solution for that particular pair of connections. But honestly, moving the quick clamp isn't too difficult. I'd mostly be worried about wearing the gasket faster for frequent changes with my quick clamp setup. I'm not familiar with the Rockler product, per se, but I know some folks do like them.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

The magnetic fittings are sweet but a little pricey (although someone here made their own). I use one of the spring clamps woodcraft and others sell on my jointer/planer and disconnect/reconnect when changing modes because it avoids getting the hose hung up or twisted when flipping the dust hood and the spring clamp makes it easy and quick. I had the Rockler setup on my old dust collector and it worked fine too, but I think the spring clamp is even easier/faster. It's only a few bucks, so if you don't like it, you can change to a different solution with little regret.
    --I had my patience tested. I'm negative--

I use the Rockler Dust Right Handle and find it very easy and most of all quick to use. The way my shop is set up, I can easily service my jointer, planer, router table and miter saw stand dust collection with a single hose. Moving from one machine to another a breeze.

I've got the Magport magnetic ports to switch between my table saw and planer. They work great .

Magport has a starter set for $73 which has 3 of the ports (one for your hose, and two for machines)

The Rockler Dust Right 4" Quick change handle is $15 and each quick change port is$22. Which for two machines and a hose end works out to $56. Slightly less than the Magport solution, but I do like the positive connection. (I would have trouble in the past with slip fit quick connects (not Rockler)).

John

Blog Entries
    I'd like to get one of the quick change-over connectors. I have looked at the Magport and the Rockler Dust Right Quick Change connectors.
    I drew up something similar to a Magport to 3D print as well. But I'm not sure it's worth making over just buying one. I'd like a and angle to move the hose to come in more from the side which is why I drew something to print. The Magport doesn't have an angled option but this is built into the Rockler solution.

I decided to wait with expectations of going to a Rockler store in the coming weeks to see how it works first hand.

I looked up the Quick Fit clamps and if I found the right thing (Nordfab) they didn't look like a quick machine change solution. They may be quick for a clamp solution but not what I was looking for to change a hose between machines.

Thanks everyone. I had forgotten about the Magport. That is a good alternative. I don’t think I will be swapping the planer and router connections back and forth a lot. I tend to set up to do all those operations as a batch. Right now, I am using the dust collector as a portable moving from machine to machine for every operation. The connection is a metal duct fitting that does not separate readily. I will be happy to just slide a blast gate most of the time. Using the clamps to move a hose would probably wear out the clamps.

Quote Originally Posted by John Stankus View Post
    I've got the Magport magnetic ports to switch between my table saw and planer. They work great .

Magport has a starter set for $73 which has 3 of the ports (one for your hose, and two for machines)

The Rockler Dust Right 4" Quick change handle is $15 and each quick change port is$22. Which for two machines and a hose end works out to $56. Slightly less than the Magport solution, but I do like the positive connection. (I would have trouble in the past with slip fit quick connects (not Rockler)).

John

+1 on Magport......I got so tired of reaching for a screw driver to undo bandclamps whenever I switched machines (which is a lot) that I sprung for the Magport connectors. If you have a lot of machines it gets a little $$$, but you can always make your own out of a dust hose connection, magnets, and scrap plywood or MDF.

These are the spring clamps I use:

Spring clamps.jpg
    --I had my patience tested. I'm negative--

Switchd to Magport fittings about 18 months ago. Never had one come off and so easy to switch between machines.

One of the reasons, that prompted the switch, one of my Rockler Dust Right fittings broke and I found out Rocker no longer supplies that fitting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90K8cBdjKQk

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Arnsdorff View Post
    I'd like to get one of the quick change-over connectors. I have looked at the Magport and the Rockler Dust Right Quick Change connectors.
    I drew up something similar to a Magport to 3D print as well. But I'm not sure it's worth making over just buying one. I'd like a and angle to move the hose to come in more from the side which is why I drew something to print. The Magport doesn't have an angled option but this is built into the Rockler solution.

I decided to wait with expectations of going to a Rockler store in the coming weeks to see how it works first hand.

I looked up the Quick Fit clamps and if I found the right thing (Nordfab) they didn't look like a quick machine change solution. They may be quick for a clamp solution but not what I was looking for to change a hose between machines.

This may be more of what you're looking for. I use these to connect my A3-31 and my shaper. Have also been using them in my temporary shop until all machine locations get set and ductwork ran.

Clint

Quote Originally Posted by Paul F Franklin View Post
    These are the spring clamps I use:

Spring clamps.jpg
    +1. Made changing the dust bag on my little Delta DC so much faster. 5 seconds to disconnect the 2 4" hoses to move the unit out of its corner, maybe 20 seconds to reconnect after moving the unit back into place.
    Last edited by Brian Tymchak; 09-04-2021 at 1:05 PM.
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher

Once I manage to forget how much the Magport fittings cost I really like them. Speaking of which, I need to order another pair.

I use the spring clamp, as well to switch my 4" hose between TS and BS.
    I use the hammer elbow that slip-fits over the machine port on the A3-31.

I've been looking at the magport options, and I've also seen Izzy Swan's QuickLox fittings.

Matt

Blog Entries
    I have three Rockler Dust Right Handles scattered around the shop. One on my router table that also is used to clean my TS and miter saw station. One at my 6" belt sander that also get used on my BS. And one at my jointer that also goes to my planer.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    NOW you tell me...