Thread: dust collection

dust collection

I use a dust deputy ahead of my Ridgid shop vac which has a dust bag ahead of the cartridge filter. It works okay, but not as much inhale as I would like with my sanders etc. With the dust deputy is the bag filter really necessary, or can I remove it and collect more dust?

Swap out the shop vac filter for a HEPA filter and eliminate the bag. Home Depot sells a HEPA filter for about $30. That's what I have along with the Dust Deputy, lot's of suction.

Blog Entries
    Yes, lose the bag. It's just adding resistance to airflow & the dust deputy is already taking almost all the dust out anyway. I've had a similar setup with a HEPA filter for years & it will last many years to come.

thank you that sounds good

That makes sense to me- thanks

I have a Dust Deputy and a Dewalt shop vac. The filter would clog up daily with fine dust.

I bought a 3hp dust collector, ran a pipe from the impeller through the wall to a trailer, and ended up with a nice filter bag. I cut the filter bag to wrap the vac filter. I hose clamped it at top and bottom, and put United States Postal Service Red Rubber Bands in the middle. I blow the filter out about twice a week, outdoors. The same shop vac filter lasts for years. The shop vac sits outdoors, so any fine dust that gets through ends up in my sawdust meadow behind the shop. The noise end up there, too.

Speaking of noise, the Dewalt vac seems a lot quieter than the Rigid, and has better suction.

Clever idea, thanks

Quote Originally Posted by William Hodge View Post
    I have a Dust Deputy and a Dewalt shop vac. The filter would clog up daily with fine dust.

I bought a 3hp dust collector, ran a pipe from the impeller through the wall to a trailer, and ended up with a nice filter bag. I cut the filter bag to wrap the vac filter. I hose clamped it at top and bottom, and put United States Postal Service Red Rubber Bands in the middle. I blow the filter out about twice a week, outdoors. The same shop vac filter lasts for years. The shop vac sits outdoors, so any fine dust that gets through ends up in my sawdust meadow behind the shop. The noise end up there, too.

Speaking of noise, the Dewalt vac seems a lot quieter than the Rigid, and has better suction.
    What are you cutting or sanding that your shop vac filter clogs daily with a Dust Deputy ahead of it? Are you running a production shop? I'm just a hobby woodworker so I just clean out my Rigid shop vac a few times a year and unless I have overfilled the Dust Deputy bucket, the shop vac filter is barely dirty, far from clogged. I had the same experience when I had a Thien baffle instead of a Dust Deputy. In both cases I would clean out the Dust Deputy bucket every few months maybe monthly if I do a lot of sanding

The shop vac is connected to a nozzle in the stock feeder over the blade on my rip saw, a hand held sander, a miter saw, and I vaccuumm the floor. The wood dust is Sapele. The Dust Deputy works great, there is just a lot of fine dust collected. There are other dust collectors that run at the same time. Sapele is nasty, and I use a lot of it. I guess one could call it a "production shop", but it doesn't feel like it some days.

Blog Entries
    Just some more real world input here. I run a Dust Deputy ahead of a large Rigid shop vac. So little gets by the DD that I eliminated the vac's barrel and moved to a more compact filter box. Like some others noted, I empty the filter box (which is the equivalent to the vac's barrel in a non-modified setup) about twice a year. There is just a bit of powder and the errant piece of paper that was too light to fall out of the cyclone stream. IF a large amount of material is getting by the Dust Deputy I would solve that first.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Since this general topic is open, let me share my idea.... The PSI cyclone filter is difficult to remove (see pic), so I attached a Delta dust collector to its cleanout and periodically clean it from the outside by blowing air through the filter, running the Delta to pull out whatever gets loosened up. I don't want to dismantle the PSI filter to see if this actually works, so I wonder if someone's done something similar.

Thanks,
    Mike
    IMG_6439.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by William Hodge View Post
    The shop vac is connected to a nozzle in the stock feeder over the blade on my rip saw, a hand held sander, a miter saw, and I vaccuumm the floor. The wood dust is Sapele. The Dust Deputy works great, there is just a lot of fine dust collected. There are other dust collectors that run at the same time. Sapele is nasty, and I use a lot of it. I guess one could call it a "production shop", but it doesn't feel like it some days.
    Sounds like you need a bigger container under your Dust Deputy. Maybe get a 50 gallon heavy duty metal garbage can and reinforce it inside with a steel ring, hand bent rebar works just duct taped in place.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Garson View Post
    Sounds like you need a bigger container under your Dust Deputy. Maybe get a 50 gallon heavy duty metal garbage can and reinforce it inside with a steel ring, hand bent rebar works just duct taped in place.

I'm using a 55 gallon drum for a barrel. It was originally for road paint. It came with a ring clamp around the lid, and I put a gasket in the joint between lid and barrel. In order to empty it, I have to roll it on edge over to the fine dust compost pile.

I think the problem is the Sapele. Eastern White Pine, Cypress, White Oak, Douglas Fir, Basswood, Cherry, Poplar, Spruce, and Long Leaf Heart Pine all make a lot less fine dust. The Sapele just drifts in clouds when it shoots into the sawdust trailer. The shop vac really works, vents outside, and is silent in the shop. I'm OK with blowing out the filter.

Maybe you need to make less Sapele sawdust, maybe take more, longer coffee breaks?