Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Oval Window Repair Question

What a great project and an equally great result. That window has a lot of character and restoration was the way to go.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Coers View Post
    Who ever decided to put that shower there is the real villain. Not only from the water from the shower, but also the huge amount of condensation that builds up on it in the winter. It is doomed to fail again some day.
    Yep, definitely. Turns out this house and several others on the same block have these oval windows in both the upstairs and downstairs baths; the houses are upstairs/downstairs doubles. All of them are in showers, too, which seems very odd considering the houses were built in the mid 1930's, but the walls are all cement/plaster so it seems that was the original construction. The unit I rehabbed was 80 years old and was in poor shape for sure, but the one downstairs needs nothing more than to replace a couple of glass panes, repair the glazing, and a new paint job inside and out. The owner lives in that half and towels off the unit after each shower. It's still surprising it has survived all these years with no significant decay.

While I was working on this window a neighbor asked if I was interested in removing the oval windows in his house and replacing them with rectangular vinyl ones. I politely declined.

John

Well executed John!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Nice repair John. What kind of glass is that?

Michael

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Todrin View Post
    Nice repair John. What kind of glass is that?

Michael
    Thanks. It's called Florentine and is the same pattern as the original glass.

John