Thread: What is the valve called

What is the valve called

Just had a huge storm IDA come through NJ and fortunately I had minimal damage. The sum pump is working over time. But the sewers in the area filled and backed up into homes with basements like mine. I had raw sewage fill my slop sink and overflow on the floor. That night I put one of those rubber plugs in but it may have stopped solids it allowed water. I cleaned floor today and put a sump pump in the sink to keep that in check. What I need to do so this does not happen again is put one of those lack of a better word check valve in line somehow. Question is what are they called so that water goes out but not back in?? Also how hard is it to install?? Do I need a plumber?? Can I get from Home center?? Thanks.
    John T.

I think what you are referring to is a backflow preventer.

Blog Entries
    You need a sewer line Fullport Backwater Valve, similar to this one.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

I lived in an older house decades ago that had a manual valve. If it looked like the sewers were going to get backed up I would have to manually close it. Kind of a pain but the house was lower than most places in the city so it was an issue. Some of the newer houses had backflow valves that would automatically close when needed but most were never maintained so they didn't seal perfectly. They often had issues where as long as I didn't forget to close it mine always sealed.

Also how hard is it to install?? Do I need a plumber?? Can I get from Home center?? Thanks
    It looks like NJ is tough on these:
    https://a1sewercleaning.com/sewer-ba...in-new-jersey/

I'm thinking they want the type that is inside a concrete vault buried in the yard so there is access to it for inspection and maintenance.

My ex's parents had one installed back in the 1970s. They had to replace the existing clay tile since it wouldn't hold up to the pressure the backflow generated.
    My granddad always said, :As one door closes, another opens".
    Wonderful man, terrible cabinet maker...

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Engelhardt View Post
    It looks like NJ is tough on these:
    https://a1sewercleaning.com/sewer-ba...in-new-jersey/
    It looks like what is being described here is a backflow prevention device for your fresh water line, not for your sewer main. The whole webpage is a bit confusing.

Backwater valves are a point of clogging So people are usually dissuaded from getting them. They are a pain until they are useful.

This is what I was considering too. If they do not seal then they would do me no good. If they clog then it is a pain to snake. I need something to seal off the slop sink is all I need. The washer drains in the slop sink so no need to shut that down. The rubber stopper I have needs some weight on top of it to seal well. I put some this time but did not use a heavy enough one I am guessing. I may have to just settle for doing it this way.
    John T.

I would just put a big ball valve where the line goes from the trap, into the wall, or floor. Manual, but you know it will work, and full flow with no restriction.

Used one of these on basement tub drain. Works well.
    https://www.homedepot.com/p/Mueller-...37HC/100187210

Now these are great ideas. Did not think of this. Yes a shut off valve will be the ticket for a quick fix. I have just enough room in line to get one in. Thank you Bob and Tom
    John T.

Be careful installing a valve in the sink drain, if you accidently leave it closed and the tap leaks even a few drops per minute you could overflow the sink. Not sure if it would be a code violation, perhaps someone with plumbing experience could chime in. If it is a code violation it might nullify insurance if you had a related water leak claim. Just speculating but worth investigating before you proceed.

Here's the valve you need. It's called a check valve. This one has been on my laundry sink for 35 years. Pump pushes up from basement.

Laundry Sink.jpg

Blog Entries
    Restaurant sinks have a valve built into the drain with a lever to open and close.
    https://www.webstaurantstore.com/reg...tent=Equipment