Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Martin v Northfield planer

Martin v Northfield planer

Suppose you have the opportunity to acquire a used Martin or a used Northfield planer (both 24"). Northfield has a helical head; Martin has a tersa. Both in good condition though the Martin is probably in marginally better shape. Price close enough to not be a factor. I'm making table tops and conference tables.

I'm leaning towards the Northfield because the absolute precision of the Martin is not essential, and I have a hunch that Northfield parts will be easier to find. But I'd be easily persuaded otherwise.

i'd go martin because i prefer the tersa head.

Thanks, this is a big upgrade for me, but everything I hear and read about the heads, I think I would prefer the tersa.

I’ll take the Martin. You can have the Northfield

Seriously, though if price is similar enough, I would take the Martin as I prefer a Tersa head.

What model Martin are we talking about and how much electronic control is it dependent on for full operation? That would be the one thing that may change that decision.
    Still waters run deep.

It's an older T43, well maintained. But yes, mostly electronic operation. My concern as well. OTOH, I have yet to see any comments from Martin owners complaining about the thing breaking down.

Nothing for me in this hunt, but I"m also a Tersa fan...so were I in the position and everything else being reasonably equal with no compelling reason to choose otherwise, it would be the Martin with the Tersa head.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

How does price compare and does the NF have power up and down? I'd not have a planer that needs cranking. I had an Oliver 299 ITCH and sold it for a SAC Tersa. As much as I like the Oliver stuff, high end Euro Tersa machines are hard to beat. I do look at the electrics to see if there are proprietary components or if off the shelf replacements can work. A call to martin would be my next step to verify the electronics. Dave

Thank you.

I would say the Martin is a better finish planer. I have a 20 year old T44 that I bought new. I like the Tersa head, running carbide now. The rubber rollers and no bed rolls make snipe free cutting. The rubber rolls will wear out though. With the rubber rollers you can also take off 1/10mm without leaving marks. Being able to come back to repeat settings accurately is nice also. These are available with steel rollers and bed rollers but most sold here have the rubber.
    The local big architectural shop here has a Northfield and a Martin planer. They like the Northfield for running all their recycled antique timber. They do a lot of this and also contemporary high end interiors where they prefer the Martin.
    I think the head on the Northfield holds up better to the old wood
    Last edited by Joe Calhoon; 09-03-2021 at 10:50 PM.

joe, i have a relatively new SCM L'Invincible, with carbide tersas. the infeed rollers are segmented, but i have the option to swap them out for rubber. it's an expensive switch - they want nearly $2700 for the kit, and it's a full day of labor according to the tech. think it's worth the effort and cost? currently, anything under about .4mm and i see witness marks on the wood from the infeed rollers.

yet another reason why i should have bought the martin. the SCM is a great machine, but it's the details that matter....

-- dz

I would go with the Northfield. Northfield still makes woodworking machines in Northfield MN . I believe it is Northfield MN. So I am sure you can get any repair parts you need. I worked in a pattern shop where the owner wouldn't buy anything but Northfield. He thought that Northfield was simply the best. I know nothing about a Marten.
    Tom

You are in another league than the planers I am around, but the t43 was designed in the 1980s, and the north field was probably designed in the late 40s or early 50s. Hands down the Martin has to be the better designed and more refined machine. I’d be a little anxious about 1980s-early 1990s electronics. Joe’s example is probably the defining difference between the two machines. Are you running 10s of thousands of board feet through this, or no?

Too bad it’s not a t45.

my experience rubber rollers work better, they grab better probably due both to the material then also some amount of compression. My SCM could cut cleaner on figured stuff if I could slow it and dial in what feed rate I'd want like the woodmaster can. Maybe both the machines you mentioned can do that. Whats the lowest feet rate on each machine? what are choices on feed rate on both machines.

Has anyone ever measured the accuracy of their Tersa knives with a dial how consistent they are side to side say on a 20" jointer.

Warren, I have, and they are nearly perfect over 500mm. I will measure again when I’m next to my jointer, but I remember maybe .000-.001” over the 19”. I think they are thin and flexible enough that they conform to the cutterhead. Assuming the channel milled in the cutterhead body is perfect, the knife projection will follow suit.

My straight knives always came back .003”+/- over 12” from the sharpener. They told me that was their spec.

Patrick do you what the hook angle of tersa head is. Just curious
    Aj