Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Martin T17 Joinery saw back in service

Martin T17 Joinery saw back in service

I rebuilt my T17 starting last December working on it when I could. Put it back into use a few weeks ago and just finished up the last 2 items this week. Mounting a Suva Guard and a oil pump instead of the oil nipples common to this vintage. A previous owner had converted it to grease lube at some point and that was a mess!
    60DC5367-98A1-4741-9CBB-FB85A0DBCC9F.jpg
    93899DF5-5B2A-49B2-AF21-38F5D2B78B9C.jpg
    1D8F6324-3E82-4D56-B746-52FC11A3CDCF.jpg
    834BD848-06AA-4C7E-86E9-E93543418FF0.jpg
    B3A27074-81EA-484F-BC6A-696747A332C4.jpg
    7C08852E-0459-42C1-80CA-82AD3F60B6CA.jpg
    D14F0546-B593-4C7B-8969-F3924249E655.jpg

Congratulations Joe; your machine looks better than a brand new one!

The result is amazing and clearly indicates your attention to detail.

Regards,

J.

Joe,

Wow, what a beautiful restoration job! A labor of love.

A couple of things I see of note about that saw:

I really like how the extension table can fold down and still be on the saw but out of the way. That looks very convenient. Does the right fence do a similar hinging / folding down out of the way on the opposite side? I’ve seen that on some Martin saws.

Is that a a Felder crosscut fence and if so, how long is it when the extension isn’t pulled out?

I just acquired an older SCM short stroke slider (SI-15F) that has a 52” stroke and a cast iron extension table similar to yours and is very heavy and solid, but it’s obviously not as refined as a Martin and now I’m a bit jealous!

That saw looks very handy for door parts.
    Last edited by Phillip Mitchell; 09-02-2021 at 6:43 AM.
    Still waters run deep.

Great job Joe! That is one good lookin saw. Is the oil delivered by pumping the lever by hand?

Thanks for the nice comments everyone!
    Phillip, the fence does fold out of the way and yes that is the Felder short fence. I have the original long fence that goes out past 10’ but where this saw sits I don’t have the room. Plus I still have my bigger slider for large cuts. The short fence goes out to about 80”. One thing I found out is at 45 degree cuts it is short and the stops cannot be calibrated to the blade. I might get a better fence at some point if this becomes my only saw. Good thing with the Felder fence is it mounts at the rear so the scribe marks for angle still work.
    Jeff, yes pumps by handle. It’s the same one Martin uses on newer machines.
    AFC7E7EC-7386-4D77-B972-6F2F66BAC3D3.jpg
    84483BD6-954F-48AA-89B1-74BAE11AFF5B.jpg

That is really fantastic, and i am very envious. This is precisely what i want to do with my T-17. Im for sure going blue, and i think i will copy your Martin logo. I like that you painted the gray raised background. A few things:
    How do you and Mark polish all metal parts to such a sheen? Every piece of nonpainted metal on that machine looks like chrome. I see it all the time, and you guys make it look like everything was freshly milled and machined.
    Next, do you have any wear on your sliding table's beam's V ways? I have a tiny groove in mine, and i am trying to decide if i should send it out to be milled. I am slightly concerned by this, because its a long piece, and the 4 sides of the 2 V's need to be dead parallel with one another. Maybe this is child's play for a good machine shop. I only found one with the machines large enough to handle a 60" long part.
    How does the suva guard connect? I really like my Felder's optional overhead guard, and would like to add something similar to the T17. This looks like a better plug n play solution.
    Finally, this is selfishly for my own needs, but the crosscut fence connects via two points. I have the post and the cast connector, but i am missing the second connection point. It looks like you maybe had that part made on your saw. Can you post a photo or two of what this looks like, please?

That's a beautiful machine Joe. You as was already said have made it look better than new. Restoring machines is an art in itself and you have done an awesome job. The before and after is like walking into a dark room and flipping on the light. I can't imagine the hours and work you have devoted to this. I'm sure this is the same level of skill you devote to everything you do. Thanks for sharing the finished result. It's a treat to the eyes and I'm sure a joy to use as well. Well Done!!!

Blog Entries
    Very nice work, Joe!
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Joe, very nicely done, sir. I may have to sign up for another Alpine class so i can come worship at the Temple of Martin in Ouray.

Best to you Joe. Patrick

What a fine looking machine! You did a wonderful restoration...totally worthy!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Blog Entries
    Joe, if I may, where did you acquire that oiler? Looks great, I would like to add one to the wadkin
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Kane View Post
    That is really fantastic, and i am very envious. This is precisely what i want to do with my T-17. Im for sure going blue, and i think i will copy your Martin logo. I like that you painted the gray raised background. A few things:
    How do you and Mark polish all metal parts to such a sheen? Every piece of nonpainted metal on that machine looks like chrome. I see it all the time, and you guys make it look like everything was freshly milled and machined.
    Next, do you have any wear on your sliding table's beam's V ways? I have a tiny groove in mine, and i am trying to decide if i should send it out to be milled. I am slightly concerned by this, because its a long piece, and the 4 sides of the 2 V's need to be dead parallel with one another. Maybe this is child's play for a good machine shop. I only found one with the machines large enough to handle a 60" long part.
    How does the suva guard connect? I really like my Felder's optional overhead guard, and would like to add something similar to the T17. This looks like a better plug n play solution.
    Finally, this is selfishly for my own needs, but the crosscut fence connects via two points. I have the post and the cast connector, but i am missing the second connection point. It looks like you maybe had that part made on your saw. Can you post a photo or two of what this looks like, please?
    Patrick, I have this air die grinder with flap wheels from Klingspor that makes polishing metal easy.
    E4F8FFAF-470E-4BC5-850A-577269328C9C.jpg
    My V ways have very little wear. Gary Shultz who used to post a lot on the OWWM had a T 17 that he had to re machine the ways on. He was very knowledgeable about these machines but unfortunately was insulted so bad on that forum he left and deleted all his posts. I may still have his contact info if you need it.

The Suva attaches to a 25mm rod. I bought that from McMaster and a metal work friend made a mount for it out of 2 1/2” and 2” square stock. I did all the finishing and taping of holes. I like it for the near perfect dust collection and safety. They are hard to get used to but I like the one on my T72. This one can be moved back and raised to get out of the way quickly.
    648EAE0C-F67B-4EC6-8BA9-4E17BBF40CEB.jpg
    C85FF23D-AB70-4E2E-A1E2-6AAA1858DE9D.jpg

21350750-DF01-4CE0-A252-9E01A7B5712A.jpg
    For the cast fitting that holds the fence at the post, my T17 has that but my T23 was missing this. John Clark was restoring his and found a machinest to make new ones from aluminum. The dimensions have to be precise in order for the fence to be accurate on the angles. Look close at the picture below and you can see the new one.
    D65AF18F-1731-4A25-B1CE-5621D5A3D3B5.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Ronald Blue View Post
    That's a beautiful machine Joe. You as was already said have made it look better than new. Restoring machines is an art in itself and you have done an awesome job. The before and after is like walking into a dark room and flipping on the light. I can't imagine the hours and work you have devoted to this. I'm sure this is the same level of skill you devote to everything you do. Thanks for sharing the finished result. It's a treat to the eyes and I'm sure a joy to use as well. Well Done!!!
    Thanks Ronald
    it is a lot of work and I knew what I was getting into after doing the T23 shaper. A lot of pain but now forgotten now that I am using it.

Thanks Patrick and Jim for the comments!

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Holcombe View Post
    Joe, if I may, where did you acquire that oiler? Looks great, I would like to add one to the wadkin
    Hi Brian,
    I bought this from Martin. It was expensive but heck when riding the Titanic might as well go first class!
    in Mark’s post on his T17 he and Chris Hall had other sources for less expensive oilers.
    7BC80FD0-9A71-45A4-A57E-D57BA1AC1453.jpg
    there might be another source for this brand. It works well