Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tankless Whole House Hot Waster System

The only benefits I see is that the unit takes up less space, Costs less to run depending on how often it needs to run, and less likely to build hydrogen sulfide.

You wont get hot water faster except for the first time you turn it on

Up off the floor is another benefit when there's a wet basement involved or a need to install in interior space. An example of the latter is in the addition of our old property...the unit is on the wall in the laundry room and takes up zero floor space.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Here in Minnesota most houses have basements so finding space for a traditional water heater is not an issue. I wouldn't mind a tankless water heater if it came with a house I bought, but I will probably never buy one unless they become mandated. They cost more than tank water heaters and are very picky about maintenance. I may very well go electric with my next water heater to use up some of my solar power. An electric tankless water heater requires enormous amounts of electricity.

Navien heavily markets their tankless water heaters here, but I've seen tons of videos on Youtube of them failing left and right.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Elfert View Post
    Here in Minnesota most houses have basements so finding space for a traditional water heater is not an issue. I wouldn't mind a tankless water heater if it came with a house I bought, but I will probably never buy one unless they become mandated. They cost more than tank water heaters and are very picky about maintenance. I may very well go electric with my next water heater to use up some of my solar power. An electric tankless water heater requires enormous amounts of electricity.

Navien heavily markets their tankless water heaters here, but I've seen tons of videos on Youtube of them failing left and right.
    If you have hot water heat you could get a indirect fired water heater. I've had one since 1988 and the only thing I've done to it is adjust the temperature. Don't remember ever running out of hot water either.
    Confidence: The feeling you experience before you fully understand the situation

In our house, we are on our second 40 gallon propane fired WH. First only lasted 18 years. It was a "top of the line" bought from plumbing supply house. Second (23 years old) was a cheapie from Lowes. As for heat losses, we just spent three days at the beach. Before leaving, I shifted control to pilot, cut off supply line (water,) and relieved pressure at closest spigot. Upon returning today, turned control back on. The WH did NOT fire up, because it hadn't lost enough heat in three days to kick it on. Never have we ever run out of hot water, in the forty one years we have been in our house.

I’m retiring and moving up to northern Minnesota to a place with well water. I wanted to upgrade to a propane fired tankless unit to save space but was advised against it because of the difficulty heating cold well water in the winter.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce McVeety View Post
    I’m retiring and moving up to northern Minnesota to a place with well water. I wanted to upgrade to a propane fired tankless unit to save space but was advised against it because of the difficulty heating cold well water in the winter.
    I would expect the well water to be 50 something degrees year around. Sounds like the plumber/contractor really doesn't like the tankless heaters. I was just looking at specs on a 9 gpm LP unit. The water output does drop about 1/3 for water at 53 degrees Fahrenheit. So 5.7 gpm instead of 8.5 at 75 degrees. If you really need more flow then a larger unit would be an option. Just an observation here though.

I agree with Ronald. Wells are no problem for heating the water regardless of heater type...the ambient temperature of water out of the ground from down deep is not the same as at ground air temperature. One concern there is with tankless systems in particular, but can also affect other methods, is mineral content in the well water. It's a maintenance issue, but tankless systems are more demanding around dealing with mineral content and regular maintenance to mitigate. There are a lot of plumbers who just don't like tankless, too. Some of that may be profit margin which can sometimes be huge on tank type units.
    --

Another oddity to me is that the tankless use a smaller temperature rise then tank type. Since the recommended temperature for discharge is 120 it makes no sense to me that tank type are rated for a 90 degree temperature rise in first hour recovery. I'm sure I am somehow missing a crucial piece here. Maybe someone else can educate me on this peculiarity in the data. But comparing the tankless to tank type vs initial cost it looks like the tank type higher initial cost is basically recovered in the first year. $480 for tankless and $690 tank type annual estimated cost of operation.

Quote Originally Posted by Ronald Blue View Post
    Another oddity to me is that the tankless use a smaller temperature rise then tank type. Since the recommended temperature for discharge is 120 it makes no sense to me that tank type are rated for a 90 degree temperature rise in first hour recovery. I'm sure I am somehow missing a crucial piece here. Maybe someone else can educate me on this peculiarity in the data. But comparing the tankless to tank type vs initial cost it looks like the tank type higher initial cost is basically recovered in the first year. $480 for tankless and $690 tank type annual estimated cost of operation.
    I noticed that my gas usage went down after I installed the tankless water heaters. I think the reason is that a tank heater has to keep the water hot all the time, while the tankless only heats water when you're using water.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Jenkins View Post
    Don’t confuse instant with unlimited. Tankless will provide unlimited hot water but before the hot water gets to your faucet it still has to travel the length of the pipes.
    Right on - hot water supply at the using point takes a bit longer with the tankless system, but IMO worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by BOB OLINGER View Post
    Right on - hot water supply at the using point takes a bit longer with the tankless system, but IMO worth it.

Takes the same amount of time to travel the pipe as from a tank system. Unless the system is a recirculating type that always has hot water flowing.
    --

Tanked systems always have hot water in the tank, so heat does exchange. It basically makes it feel like it's faster, because the temperature change isn't as abrupt.

We went from years with a tankless to a dual zoned tanked system in this house. When these heaters go, I'll go back to tankless.
    ~mike

happy in my mud hut

My only comment is that I went from NG to electric to reduce my carbon consumption, an easy change that doesn't affect my lifestyle.............Rod.

We put in a Rinnai in our new home when we remodeled 3 years ago. There is a definite time lag to get hot water (it has to go up 4 floors), then it is continuous.

Our propane usage is so low, the gas company just comes out twice a year to check on us, so operating cost is incredibly low.

Definitely want indoor installation with direct venting.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.