Thread: Music box

Music box

My wife and I celebrated our fifth wedding anniversary this year. I’m sure you all know that five years is supposed to be some sort of wood oriented gift. We don’t really go for all that Hallmark holiday hoopla, except when it’s fun. And of course, this one was a blast. The only challenge was that my wife is not slow to tell me what she needs me to make and despite whatever deadlines I’m facing, of course, her needs trump every single thing in my life. As such, I needed to be a bit creative in how to approach this gift.

So I made a music box. I was fairly simply. I had a lot of walnut cuts off, that I routinely rummage through when I have some free time and glue into useable boards. I had enough to make the sides, and I had some Purple Heart that was still purple and figured when it eventually turns brown, it’ll look fine with the walnut. Made it five sided and five inches tall for the five years. For the actual music, I bought a little light operated digital music player. Awesome little thing. I was able to load it up with all of our favorite songs and it plays as soon as box opens. The first song is “five years” by David Bowie — I know not the most romantic song, but a cherished one by us. Keeps up the theme, you see. The biggest challenge was making the thin walnut covering to go over the player which comes in a rather ugly plastic housing, and carving out the holes for the speaker, optical sensor, and buttons/holes.

Was a fun build for sure, and totally blew my wife away.

A2CE0D41-CE6D-4C10-A9A3-CA17BFCAE603.jpg2C3E3BAC-2D1F-4E80-B69C-85286FC6929B.jpg17DBE4CF-6A16-461A-BEC9-9689983C1915.jpg

Very nice. Great combo of P-heart and walnut. Where did you get the digital music player? I've been looking for something g like that.
    < insert spurious quote here >

Quote Originally Posted by Stan Calow View Post
    Very nice. Great combo of P-heart and walnut. Where did you get the digital music player? I've been looking for something g like that.
    Thanks. Here is the link for the music box:
    https://www.musicboxattic.com/custom...x-module-only/

let me know if you have any questions.

That’s fantastic-way to up the game! I’m sure you’ll both treasure it. And congrats!
    "You can observe a lot just by watching."
    --Yogi Berra

What a creative, thoughtful and unique gift, and what a great story. Well done on so many fronts. Years ago I made a blanket chest for my wife with tool trays of course, not nearly as creative as your music box. Thanks for posting this..

Great work. Wood selection is excellent.