Hello Everybody.

I apologize if this is a repeated thread or query, I did do a search to see if it’s been addressed elsewhere and didn’t find apt answers.

I’m a big fan of my domino. I use it as much as I can and it has never failed me. Joining boards for table tops, rails, stiles, aprons, legs. If I can get the machine in there, I’ll use it.

However, I’ve heard more than once that it’s not structurally sound. That really it’s more of an alignment tool than a joining one, like a biscuit joiner. And frankly I’m totally confused by this. How is a tightly/well fitted loose tenon glued on both sides not performing a structural capacity? What am I missing here?

Say for example, I’m making a table base with an apron — How is a fat 14mm domino glued a good inch or more into both sides of the joint not as strong as a tenon cut out of the apron going into a mortise cut out of the leg or a sliding dovetail/bridle joint/etc.?

As always, great gratitude for all of the fantastic insights you all share so generously here. And if I’ve missed the thread that addresses this, please redirect me.