Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Snakes in the Shop

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Rutherford View Post
    Anybody who uses tools has had worse injuries than this, but those tiny teeth are extemely sharp and they are angled back, so they don't come out as smoothly as they went in.Attachment 463973
    Yikes, that doesn't look pleasant!

I've been lucky I guess. The time a black snake got my hand it must not have gotten a good grip. So long ago I don't remember, maybe it was a small snake.

I'm far more cautious around cats and dogs, even my own - it was the annual vet farm visit this week for shots and such and the horses and donkeys were a lot safer to handle than one frightened cat and a hyper dog. Had to break out the muzzle for that one!

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    I kill copperheads but I've caught and relocated dozens of black snakes. If you are fast just grab it by the neck right behind their head. Easier is to use a golf club or stick (or an axe handle!) and gently pin it down behind the head then pick it up with the hand. I keep a 10-gal plastic tub with air holes drilled in sides and top to keep them until I can haul them far away. Note that I have nothing against black snakes since they eat a lot of mice and such but they get in the chicken house and eat the eggs too. Once a black snake chased two peahens off a nest with almost 30 eggs which killed them - that was potentially $3000 worth of peacocks!

I've caught snakes 6' and longer this way. They will wrap around your arm and squeeze like a baby python but they can't hurt you. Even if they were to bite you it probably wouldn't break the skin.

Attachment 463967 Attachment 463968 Attachment 463969 Attachment 463970 Attachment 463971 Attachment 463972

(I'm the guy the neighbors call when a snake gets in their house or they [gasp!] see one in the yard. )
    Now I know how to get you to come visit.

I understand that the standard weapon when you need to kill a snake is a garden hoe. Easy enough for women and children to handle.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bender View Post
    I understand that the standard weapon when you need to kill a snake is a garden hoe. Easy enough for women and children to handle.
    Hoe, rake. But consider relocating harmless snakes instead of killing. Unless you kill to eat. Rattlesnake is pretty good if properly cooked.