Thread: SCM FS41 Advice

Blog Entries

SCM FS41 Advice

Hey everyone,
    I am looking into a used SCM FS41 Jointer/planer that I can get for around $4500 used. I currently have a Powermatic 8” helical head jointer and a DeWalt 13” planer. Both work very well. I’m not really sure “why” I need this, besides 16” jointing sounds awesome. Does this price seem high or fair to y’all? Thanks so much.

Todd

16" is indeed nice. What year is this machine and what type of cutterhead (regular or Tersa)? Would need to know more to give an opinion.

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

Blog Entries
    I believe it is around a 2014-2015. It has a Tersa head.

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Sebek View Post
    I believe it is around a 2014-2015. It has a Tersa head.
    Is it an Elite or Classic?

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

Blog Entries
    Classic to my knowledge. It is a 2016 model.

Hi Todd. If it’s the unit listed on the Austin CL for $5k, I took a look at it last week in person. The seller dropped the price to $4500 pretty quickly but didn’t want to go lower so I passed.

It has some cosmetic parts broken on it (safety guard, mortiser attachment cover) and some surface rust from being stored in a non climate control location for 3 years. There also wasn’t any 240v on-site to test the unit.

Definitely a nice unit for the right buyer though.

If the tables are flat, and the motor good, the Tersa head makes it an OK deal. Not a screamer but new is likely more than double that price and Tersa on a jointer is as good as it gets. Better than an insert IMO. Dave

Brand new right now that machine is listed for $6400. If it does have the issues listed above I'd like to see the price a tad lower. I would def want to see the machine run and listen for bearing issues and you really should check the table flatness.