Thread: Weed trimmer replacement head

Weed trimmer replacement head

I am looking at replacement heads for a Stihl straight shift weed trimmer, 27cc engine.

It looks like the Echo and Oregon get the best reviews ( for what they are worth).

Anyone had good luck with Echo or Oregon heads?

My Stihl head is getting old and worn, it has always been a pain to wind the string.

im good a burning things out, Toro personal pace mower the latest victim.

The echo weed whacker I wore right through the spool plastic bump thing. I got their fancy replacement one and its deal is it is easier to load. After beating it for some years its still working and for sure easier to put new line into. You line up some holes and then you can run the length of line in you pre cut, balance it from side to side so same amount then you turn the center and it winds the line into the head. MIne is a bit tight so a bit harder to wind than id like but its also a bit jammed and needs to come apart and be cleaned.

Its way better than what came on it im happy with it and the Echo this is my first echo product. At one point I was doing five places, just helping friends that needed help at the time and my own. Im rough on those things. The echo I bet is ten years old now and ive done zero service to it, nothing just gas and oil in and use it. The air filter is original and ive blown it out twice. Not proud ive never serviced it, never greased the shaft, never changed plug I just use it and hard. Great product easy for me to buy that again when it finally breaks as long as still built like they used to. Way to go Echo.
    Last edited by Warren Lake; 08-31-2021 at 12:37 AM.

Years ago I replaced the head on my Honda with one made by Shindaiwa (Speed Feed). I think the Echo is either a rebranded Shindaiwa or there's some sort of joint thing going on now. It works well. It's easy to load the string (which was always the part I hated). The bump to advance works as it should.

A number of different manufacturers have their brand name on SpeedFeed heads. There are a couple of different sizes, for different power string trimmers, but as long as you get the right one for your machine, with the correct threaded adapter, one brand is not better than another one. I've bought them off ebay.

I have a Stihl FS-90 and a small Tanaka for my wife. I have ditched the string wound standard heads on both and they are just so much better to use. I don’t remember the brands. One i think is a Stihl and the other a generic universal from the small motor place I purchased the unit from. Both have performed very well and I am so happy with using the damned things. String winding is an art form I never mastered, and I have wound a lot of string. I bought the black pre-cut 8” or so threads, but they get pricey quickly. Now I take a pair of dykes and cut the heavy orange thread to length. That is stronger, last longer and saves you dough. Don’t wait on this change. You will be happy with the change.

the echo head works great. i get about 10 feet of string ( 2 light arm stretches) , find the center and bend it, thread through the hole to the center and wind it up. it can hold more, but i have not had any stuck string using this method.

Thank you !

Jack

im open to new stuff but if it interferes with how I work then no. For one I use the weedeater fast as an edger. I also weed eat the sidewalks in front of homes a thing no one around here does. Its still part of the view of a home. I did my families that way till it was sold and both neighbours had tons of grass on the sidewalks in front of their homes, looked like crap. That eats string fast as im hitting concrete and it has a texture. I used to do one neighbours home as it was in best interest for ours. Last day there home changing owners both neighbours had done their sidewalks, guess I started a trend.

I have the ECHO. As others have said. Very good product. Very easy to put string in now.
    Had my Echo trimmer for I guess 10 years now, NEVER a problem. I install a tune up kit every year or two and use canned gas.
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale