Thread: Dust collector for an edge sander

Dust collector for an edge sander

Dust control with my edge sander (6" x 80" belt) and spindle sander are poor. It's no surprise that an old Shopsmith DC3300 does little, and the Ridgid shop vacuum (with cyclone) doesn't move enough CFM. Most of the shop uses an Oneida "V-system" but the company says it wouldn't do well on this kind of task. (Besides, my HVAC ducts prevent me from connecting the sanders to it).

What do 'creek folks suggest, for a dedicated collector to service just these two? (Strong enough but not wasting $$).

My 6" x 108" edge sander does ok with a 4" port on my central dust system. A 1 or 1.5 hp unit next to the machines would probably work, the important thing is filtration that will capture the fine sanding dust.

Can you explain why your Oneida cyclone can't do this . Seems like you have the DC already . Is this a ductwork issue ?

Blog Entries
    I ran a 2 hp cyclone and use the 4 inch port on the sander with reasonable success. It is a jet edge sander and the dust hood is somewhat adjustable. I have considered building my own dust hood for a 6 inch connection.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I think that you do not want to skimp on a DC fir any kind of sander. They put out a lot of fine dust which is the most hazardous.

Quote Originally Posted by james manutes View Post
    Can you explain why your Oneida cyclone can't do this . Seems like you have the DC already . Is this a ductwork issue ?
    Two issues, but I can only explain one properly.
    1) (My understanding): Oneida says the V system and ducts are optimized for tools producing chips. The flow is too slow for the dust from this kind of sander.
    2) I have HVAC ducts in the way of connecting to the Oneida. Could restructure the shop, but if Oneida says it won’t work…

Quote Originally Posted by David Kenagy View Post
    Dust control with my edge sander (6" x 80" belt) and spindle sander are poor. It's no surprise that an old Shopsmith DC3300 does little, and the Ridgid shop vacuum (with cyclone) doesn't move enough CFM. Most of the shop uses an Oneida "V-system" but the company says it wouldn't do well on this kind of task. (Besides, my HVAC ducts prevent me from connecting the sanders to it).

What do 'creek folks suggest, for a dedicated collector to service just these two? (Strong enough but not wasting $$).
    I've learned the tool itself can help. For example, the direction the belt is running creates a flow where the dust has momentum. When you introduce suction utilizing that momentum, collection improves. Normally I custom make a shroud so the transition from tool flow to suction on smooth. I've drawn a quick and dirty illus below. Notice the shroud curves smoothly toward the suction.

I'm sure with unlimited budget ALL the dust can be collected from a belt sander, but for us that's not a reality. That said, ambient air filtration is a must. Should you be inclined, there's an excellent thread on air filtration on here where Alan, David and myself discuss our designs, our builds, and our successes.

20210831_114900 (1).jpg
    Thanks,
    Fred

Seasoned professional possessing unremarkable proficiency at innumerable skills.

Quote Originally Posted by David Kenagy View Post
    Two issues, but I can only explain one properly.
    1) (My understanding): Oneida says the V system and ducts are optimized for tools producing chips. The flow is too slow for the dust from this kind of sander.…
    I guess I didn't get that memo from Oneida; I've been using my V3000 with my 6x48 belt sander, my 6x89 edge sander, and my 25" double drum sander quite successfully for the last 10 years. Worst case is I have to clean the filter a little more often but there is certainly no issue with velocity.

[QUOTE=David Kenagy;3140276]Two issues, but I can only explain one properly.
    1) (My understanding): Oneida says the V system and ducts are optimized for tools producing chips. The flow is too slow for the dust from this kind of sander.

I think that something is missing in the Oneida statement. They advertise the V system as a dust collector not a chip and sawdust only collector. All woodworking machines produce fine dust to some degree and my V 3000 sucks fine sanding dust,chips, sawdust, paint overspray, rags and other miscellaneous just fine. Perhaps there is a more optimum machine for fine dust, but I'm Most certainly satisfied with my unoptimized setup.