Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Filling worm holes

Ha, if the FDA says it’s safe then it’s probably not. Here’s a measuring stick should a infant be allowed to play and chew on cured epoxy.
    Its ok for other people’s children is not a answer
    Bars, restaurants, cafeterias, food processors, food warehouses,,,,,etc....virtually anywhere that serves, processes, stores food items and has surfaces that need some sort of extremely washable coatings will have to use a product on the FDA approved list.
    It has nothing to do with children per se.

Then there's potable water & the need for tank linings. Coal tar epoxies are used there.

I don't consider their opinion for what's safe and not safe.
    It's not really their opinion. There's a very rigid set of tests a product has to pass in order to be approved.
    Anyhow - I can 100% guarantee you that you are either eating or drinking something which has been in contact with some sort of paint or coating every day of your life. From the water you drink to the beer that you drink(beer cans are lined with a coating) to the meat on your table - everything has been in contact with some sort of painted or coated surface.
    Believe me - I despise big government more than anyone, but, some things do need someone to lay down & enforce some set of guidelines.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

A hole filled with epoxy is 100% chemicals made by man.
    A hole filled with a pointy stick and titebond 3 is safer because the wood fiber are the majority. I use epoxy but not very often because I just don’t think it’s needed. Esp a cutting board when there’s cut cut chop chop.
    Your right there is plenty of toxic stuff in our life’s I’ll try harder to eliminate as much as I can. Thanks for the info.
    Good Luck always
    Aj

It might make sense to do something to ensure that the "bugs", larvae or eggs are dead. I turned two plates (gum amber) and had filled the holes with turquoise colored epoxy. I set one on top of the other with a piece of paper towel between them. A few days later, I found a new hole in one of the plates and a matching shaped hole in the paper towel. So, I had two issues to correct.

IIRC, ended up using some insecticide in the hole. But microwaving or putting in my wife's oven at a low enough temp may also have worked.

BTW, I typically use a colored epoxy for filling holes but that also includes (used) coffee grounds and epoxy, coffee grounds and CA glue, saw dust and either epoxy or CA. Or Inlace, etc.