Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Had some issues spraying

you have needle nozzle size, your material diff types behave different, your air pressure fan adjustment and how much the fluid is open, your temp has a big affect and its one the reasons they use viscosity cups to match the speed of material so it sprays the same each time.

Past sprayed material from 3 PSI assist up to 30 PSI plus for some heavier Becker primers. As soon as you go too high you fan will turn into a figure 8 rather than oval or straight whatever your gun type. You can bring it back a bit iwth some adjust ment. Pressure is good its a turbo on a small motor, but you do it wrong and you will add orange peel just your settings.

Jeff, well, of course the pressure setting for the cup is important. That said, I leave it on 5 psi for almost everything. The exceptions are Sealcoat where I use 3 or 4 psi and BM Advance and similar high viscosity products where I use 6 or 7 psi. If the PPS cup lid liner and lid are clean and you get a good seal when you tighten the cap then you can refill and keep spraying with no adjustment required to maintain the cup pressure. If you have a little leakage then you may have to make an adjustment but it's no big deal. The pressure gage is on the inlet to the gun so it's easy to check and adjust. To be clear this pressure regulator is to control the pressure of the cup. You need a separate regulator to control the pressure to the gun. I use two, one at the compressor set to 90 psi, and a second at the 20 ft hose reel to the gun, typically set to 29 psi, but I do set it lower for low viscosity products, as low as 20 psi for dyes and Sealcoat.

You will like the AM-6008 SmartPak with the PPS cup. It sprays darned near anything and is all contained in one nice, easy to store, case. Tell Jeff, Jim and I want our referral fee. (Just kidding. I have no affiliation with Jeff or Homestead Finishing, just a happy customer.) I have no doubt the LPH-400 Iwata is a better gun and if you are looking for a lifetime gun and have a compressor that can supply enough air it would be a great setup. Probably looking at $750 though with 3 needle/nozzle sets and PPS cup.

John

Jeff- I have the 6008 kit as well, and keep it reserved for pigmented finishes, as the pressurized cup does make all the difference in pushing almost any viscosity through it, rendering thinning almost completely unnecessary for those thicker products. And yes, go with the PPS system. Converted everything to this a couple years ago, and it's absolutely revolutionary if you haven't tried it.

John- That LPH-400 LV is a super-low air consumer. (LV=low volume). Probably the least amount of air consumption of any gun I've ever owned, so really no concerns on compressor size. It is well worth adding to anyone's arsenal for it's advanced atomization engineering. I keep that guy reserved strictly for clears. Absolutely wonderful gun.

The pairing of these two has rounded out my main spray application line up, giving me confidence to produce high-quality finishes of almost any type.

Only thing else I occasionally like to use is a Titan 440i for clears and an older Spray-Tech reserved for latex, but this is only due to the fact that they can dispense so much so quickly when I have the finish room fully loaded with large scale projects.
    Honestly, once I switched to the PPS system, I rarely run the airless any more, as those two guns just sing and clean-up is such a breeze.